·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All-

Following is a message I sent to Alan prior to posting it in the forum:

Quote:
Hi Alan-

I am not sure where to register this complaint, so I figured I would send it to you before posting it in a forum.

A person registered as [email protected] agreed to purchase a remote from me as posted in your classified section. Following is the last communication between us (verbatim except for formatting):

Quote:

To: [email protected]

Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 9:10 AM

Subject: Re: Reply To Your Ad at the AVS Forum Classifieds

OK Zak, $170 shipped. Do you accept paypal or would you prefer to do COD? Let me know.

best

Chris Conklin, owner

Mr. C's Comics & Collectibles

PMB #152

2198 Ogden Ave

Aurora IL 60504-7215

In a message dated 5/24/2002 8:05:17 AM Central Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

Hi Chris-

$170 shipped and it's yours. Attached is a larger version of the image in my ad with the manual, original box, cable, manual, and batteries displayed with the remote (it even has the original sticker on the screen).

-Zak
I have sent him several emails requesting he send payment so I can ship the remote but have not heard back from him. Finally this morning I found this on eBay . As you can see from the bid history, he was lurking on an auction and making false promises to me in case he didn't win. I have no problem with finding the best deal for yourself, but this is unscrupulous.

I do not expect you can (or need to) do anything about our agreement, but I think other forum members should be warned about dealing with this person. With your permission I would like to post this (with any modifications you deem necessary) to one of the forums. I do not know how to post messages in the Classified Forum, so I am not sure where to post it.

Thanks,

-Zak (z.mash)
Note that the classifieds section requires you to create a separate login. This person may not be a member of the forum. I have been lurking and posting here since December 1999, and I know that this is not typical behavior. Also, I did not lose anything- I still have the remote. However, it does not change the fact that this type of behavior is not good for the AVS Forum community.

There is nothing that Alan can do about people like this, except to make sure that everyone knows to STAY AWAY from ANY type of business dealings with them. I blanked out the email address- the point isn't to load up his inbox. The point is that if you ever get an email from this person offering to buy or sell you anything- TAKE A PASS. It just is not worth the hassle.

-Zak

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Well to be honest its a little like buying a car... Until the money has changed hands nothing is firm... Sure there can be offers of 'first refusal' but until money moves it aint sold and a better deal can be taken...

I speak for experience... I have just (this morning) found out I have been messed around by a seller of a XP21N (notice my FS add for my PJ has dissapeared from my SIG)... We made touch last week Wed at 2.5k asking... I asked a few questions about quality / pixels etc / and on Sat told him I was 100% but I am in Europe but I would pay all the extra shipping (I have a DHL account so could send the courier to his door) and made it clear I wanted the PJ and would pay the price he said sure but I am busy this holiday weekend with stuff... I gave him time... Monday no email despite me contacting him... Tuesday no email and I find he updates his advert with a price reduction to 2200 (I had agreed the full 2500) so I mail again Wed with a WTF I though we had a deal email... Here I sit with PayPal at the ready (and full CC insurance and clawback I may add) and the price lowers ??? This morning I have a 'sorry the projector is sold message' after agreeing to make the deal...

Its just life... Until the money changes hands the ownership has not and the deal is not done...

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Since no money or product has exchanged, it's not a bad shaft. It's not cool but certainly not the end of the world. It's like asking a store to hold an item for you at that price and then not showing up to pick it up. It happens all the time. Obviously the store doesn't care as much as you but they don't call the cops on you for not showing up. I think your language is a bit strong. Since you posted this message in a public forum, you'll get people's input on this. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Its completely totally dishonorable. I offered 750 for a Dish 5000 HD to a classified member after having bid 850 for the samething on EBAY - ANd promptly notified him of my conflict. He accepted this. The difference between my action and this guy's is communicating. You have an obligation to immediately inform the party once you have commited to the transaction, and if he doesn't agree, you are morally bound to fulfill your obligations. This is a gentlepersons code of conduct.

Maybe I am living in the 19th century...

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Phreddy
Well to be honest its a little like buying a car... Until the money has changed hands nothing is firm... Sure there can be offers of 'first refusal' but until money moves it aint sold and a better deal can be taken...

I speak for experience... I have just (this morning) found out I have been messed around by a seller of a XP21N (notice my FS add for my PJ has dissapeared from my SIG)... We made touch last week Wed at 2.5k asking... I asked a few questions about quality / pixels etc / and on Sat told him I was 100% but I am in Europe but I would pay all the extra shipping (I have a DHL account so could send the courier to his door) and made it clear I wanted the PJ and would pay the price he said sure but I am busy this holiday weekend with stuff... I gave him time... Monday no email despite me contacting him... Tuesday no email and I find he updates his advert with a price reduction to 2200 (I had agreed the full 2500) so I mail again Wed with a WTF I though we had a deal email... Here I sit with PayPal at the ready (and full CC insurance and clawback I may add) and the price lowers ??? This morning I have a 'sorry the projector is sold message' after agreeing to make the deal...

Its just life... Until the money changes hands the ownership has not and the deal is not done...
I saw on HTF where it sold, and was wondering if you had gotten it, per our past conversation. Sorry it didn't go through for you.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahagen hit the nail on the head. I took the remote off the market when we reached an agreement. I do not think there is anything ambiguous about this person's intention to buy. I did not "read into it". If he had notified me that would have been fine. I would not have been happy, but I would not have posted anything about it.

Like I said- I didn't lose anything. Perhaps the language is strong, but it was a pain in the ***. I still would warn anyone not to trust this person.

-Zak

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.