AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a post here some time back regarding changing the wallpaper image on a momitsu 880.

I know there was a post here..... and a couple others like it way back when during the Momitsu hay day. For the life of me I've tried every search combo I can think of in AVS and using Google. I can't come up with anything close.

Anyway some folks had changed out the wallpaper/screensaver image on the ISO image and reflashed the firmware to customize this image.

Anyone remember or have any info on that? Or how to find those old now seemingly lost threads?

BTW posted here in CRT because the biggest momitsu following is here I think and that most recent thread was in this forum I'm pretty sure.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
I made a custom FW for my momitsu.

But,.. I no longer have the momitsu and I don't know if I kept the FW. (I'll check)

My custom FW replaced background images with pure black. This way,.. when I ejected one DVD and comtemplated another the tubes had no output.

I also replaced the "pause" of the on screen display with a blank image file so that I could make screenshots without "pause" on them. I wanted to change the color of the OSD to Red to be easier on the tubes but never got to it.

If all you want to do is change the background,.. I may be able to walk you though it.

-Brian

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
Ok,.. I checked and I no longer have the custom FW,.. But I may be able to find it online (maybe somewhere here.)

Hey,.. If it's no where else .. It's here...

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewt...mitsu+firmware

(There's also a nice CRT forum there too
)

---USE CUSTOM FW AT YOUR OWN RISK--

(I no longer own a Momitsu,... But I wouldn't mind having one again, nice player.)

-Brian

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
Um,..

I forget,.. I think it was with WinISO.

Perhaps I can find a tutorial...

Make sure the FW doesn't change in size. When I was first working on this windows explorer was set to thumbnail view or something and it added into to any folder I opened and as a result the FW size increased and updates resulted in errors.

-Brian

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
If anybody figures out how to do this for a v880N, I'd love to hear about it! I tried Brian's procedure in carpfisher's link, but extract-romfs says "Image info - wrong ASCII ident" when I try to open the v880N .bin file.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brian,

I'm thinking of giving this a try. Do you remember how to recover from a failed firmware update? In case I run into issues I'd like to have my plan B ready and in place to get back to where I started in case my image is bunk or I have a total failure.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
I did some FW's that were the wrong file size. It scared my sox off when I watched the update go 98,..99,.. FAIL.

But,.. AS I remember it was easy to recover from. I think you just have to unplug it and when you plug it back in hold down the eject and that will get your disc out. Then unplug it and when you plug it back in have the orignal FW disc in the tray and hold down "stop" like you would do for a regular FW update and all will progress as normal.

I did several experiments and had at least 3 bad FW updates but it was never a problem to recover. After learning that the FW size should not change I never had another problem though...

-Brian

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
That's the part that scares me. The v880N doesn't have a simple hardware-based FW update process. You have to have live FW so the player itself can connect to the net and download the new FW from the Momitsu site (or other web server). I'm afraid that if you scragged the FW, you'd be unable to revert to a working version...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok ... I've tried this and I can't get it to work. My modified files never work. I've tried all kinds of jpg sizes and it doesn't matter.

I think I know why, but I can't fix the problem. When I extract the romfs with the tool and then repackage it the tool I can never get the files size to be even close.

Brian was able to get it to match exactly. I've tried just about all I can come up with but for some reason when I remake the romfs file it is always way bigger. I can extract the original and remake it right there and it's still larger with no other changes. When I investigate the files they look quite a bit different in notepad.

I've disabled the thumbs.db feature so I know it's not that and I can't find any other hidden files either? For whatever reason the remake of the romfs file isn't staying the same. Not sure what Brian did to get it to match up 1 for 1??????

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah that's exactly what I did trying to debug it.. I guess I didn't explain myself very well in my hurried typing. I took the original unpacked it... then immediatly repacked it with no changes to the files and the file size increased.

Then from there I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out if there is a hidden file burried in there or what the heck is going on. I've even tried to find a different tool kit but no joy there either.

I may try it on a different machine next to see if that's the issue???? Something is either up with my windows xp or the tools aren't working right for me.... Digging into the files shows that the file header is definitly different between the two.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Messed around some more.. something is definitly wrong with either the unpacking or repacking of the romfs file.

I think that doing this would be far easier on a linux box since that's the native format for these files. I don't have one, but digging around the web reveals that it may be next to impossible to get working right on a windows box.

Not sure how Brian got this to work. I can do all the steps with no errors...... just the files aren't correct when done.

I wish I had a copy of the already extraced files that I could work with... I've got a funny feeling it's on the extraction where things break down.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've made sure that thumbs.db is off and I always use detail view in windows...

Looking into this deeper.... Watching the dos prompt while it's extracting you can see it do each file. When I extract Brian's modified file or the original Momitsu file a LOT of the files have a (X) after them. Like see below

UNPACKING ROMFS IMAGE romfs.bin to romfs...

[.] (X)

[..]

(X)

...[.]

...[..]

...1024p.png (822) (X)

...1080i.png (743) (X)

...1080iyuv.png (1251) (X)

However when I unpack anything that I've unpacked myself (even just repacking the original) I don't get anything like that and the files are ordered differently. see below

fs

Image name=romfs (5)

UNPACKING ROMFS IMAGE romfs.bin to romfs...

[.]

[..]

[bin]

...[.]

...[..]

...init (610464)

[cdrom]

...[.]

...[..]

[dev]

...[.]

...[..]

[etc]

...[.]

...[..]

fileplayer.bin (374188)

fipmodule.o (7551)

[img]

...[.]

...[..]

...1024p.png (822)

...1080i.png (743)

...1080iyuv.png (1251)

There can be some type of linking done in romfs.... not sure if that's what the x indicates?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.