AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this software has been around a while, but I just discovered it. If you don't already know, it's a plug-in for Winamp that allows you to 'capture' the live stream to your hard drive. While it doesn't support many different formats, it works excellent with most Shoutcast streams.

I just installed it yesterday on Winamp3, and let it run all night on two PC's. One was capturing a comedy channel, and the other a music channel. I checked this morning, and there sitting on my hard drive are dozens of nicely labeled and organized MP3 files of songs and live stand-up comedy...excellent quality too.

Kind of like a PVR for streaming audio; and I've heard it's possible to capture video too; haven't tried that yet.

Best part, it's free!:D Link

· Registered
440 Posts
This software, SFAIK, is still only audio-capable. I wrote to them about a year ago and asked them to look into something that could be a plugin or add on for material for RTV MPeg2 files. I heard back from the developer (I think). He told me that he was interested in video editing and streaming and that he would put it on his to-do list. I haven't seen anything yet.

Not to get off track in this RTV forum. I agree that the software is great as an audio recorder (PAR..... ha..ha!! another acronym for the collection). If used in conjuction with a good editor such as Cool MP3 Splitter, it becomes a great way to save radio shows as you would your favorite TV shows.

However, I have never been able to get it to work with any stream other than Shoutcast. I have tried the plugin and the console versions to try to record the Sirius Radio streams without any luck.

I better stop going off track here before JLeavens revokes my membership in this wonderful forum. Perhaps, further discussion can be carried on over at the XM/Sirius forum.

Thanks,

Wayne

· Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PAR, I like it. The limitations to Shoutcast, and few others is a drawback, but Shoutcast does have a *LOT* of stations.

I'll have to check out Cool MP3 splitter. I like the fact that Streamripper separates the individual files, and labels them if the broadcaster includes the text.

The reason I mentioned video capturing was a post I ran across in the Streamripper forum; which is woefully outdated. But anyway, here it is Link

I haven't tried it yet, so have no idea if it works.

· Registered
588 Posts
Thanks, I have needed something like this for Shoutcast for a long time. A lot of times I hear a part of a song that I like but I don't have the time to run to the computer to find out what the name of the artist and song is. Also I can find out if I like the whole song and not just part of the song. Very helpful.

· Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll tell you dvasco, I was really impressed with this software. It isn't perfect; I've had it crash Winamp on me a few times. No big deal, and it seems once it's running, it's stable. I'm still capturing as I write this on another computer since about 4pm yesterday. And this is on a Win98se machine with a P-II333. It's not very CPU intensive (about 30% on the old P-II and barely perceivable it's even running on my P-4 1.7.)

The way it splits the files and includes all the artist/album/track info (if the broadcaster included it) is great.

· Registered
440 Posts
If you like BBC.... such as the "Beatles Story" (6 parts)..... it is great! You still have to get a good splitter to clean it up. Cool MP3 Splitter is the way to go.

BTW.... Sirius streams all of their satellite radio over the net. Go over to the XM/Sirius Forum for more. I have 3 XM radios but I listen to Sirius for free over the internet...... Go Figure!

Thanks,

Wayne

· Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by waynethedvrguy
If you like BBC.... such as the "Beatles Story" (6 parts)..... it is great! You still have to get a good splitter to clean it up. Cool MP3 Splitter is the way to go.

BTW.... Sirius streams all of their satellite radio over the net. Go over to the XM/Sirius Forum for more. I have 3 XM radios but I listen to Sirius for free over the internet...... Go Figure!

Thanks,

Wayne
Thanks for the heads-up Wayne. I didn't know anything about XM streaming over the net.

I DL'd Cool MP3 Splitter, looks like a good freeware program. I haven't used it yet but was wondering if was possible to break the MP3 files into segments (say you have an entire stand-up comedy at an hour or so); then break the file into 5 minute segments WITHOUT A PAUSE BETWEEN TRACK CHANGES. The reason I emphasize this is that I have a portable MP3 player (Creative Nomad IIc) that I would like to use this on. It doesn't have the ability to 'stay' where it was playing if it is turned off...which happens automatically after a few minutes if it's not used.

Anyway, the problem is when listening to long audio files, if you get stopped in the middle of something, you have to start from the beginning again; no way to fast forward or rewind. So, can this program break the file into segments that can played back without 'breaks' in the audio stream while playing back? The ability to start back a few minutes from where I left off would be a big improvement from what I have now.

Any suggestions on a way to resolve this if the Coolsplitter software can't do this...short of buying a new MP3 player. I like this one, other than the pause/start from the beginning 'feature'.

BTW, I really enjoy the BBC...looking forward to trying it.:)

· Registered
440 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up Wayne. I didn't know anything about XM streaming over the net.
It's not XM, it's Sirius which streams over the internet.

I think it would be well to move this post over to the XM/Sirius forum.....

We are tying up peoples time on this forum with something way off topic. You can PM me if you want.

Thanks,

Wayne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.