AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Great show!...but then I grew up in england. I don't know if the yanks here would find the extremely dry humor as amusing as those of us from the mother country do. This definitely isn't an american sitcom.

I can't get BBC America where I am, so I rented the DVD from Netflix.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's an interesting question. How many of you U.S. guys get/liked this kind of humor...? Sometimes it was so funny, I cringed !!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I literally tried to watch the first episode 3 times, and I never could make it entirely through. By the middle of the show I was ready to maim the boss for reasons I don't even know.

I really want to like it, too. I'm gonna try a different episode, I think.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Best moment so far: The boss is explaining to the cameras how he is a superior manager due to his perceptive and sensitive people-oriented management style. The receptionist passes by, crying, and the boss gives a "roll the eyes, bloody women" look, completely undercutting everything he says...brilliant!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is the second season showing on BBC America? I don't get BBC America.

I saw the first season DVD through Netflix, but I'd go onto Poopli if someone has any episodes of the second season they could IVS?

·
Registered
428 Posts
So many great Brit-coms, so little time!!!

Slightly OT. Couldn't believe how much less funny the US version of Coupling was, although still OK. Wasn't surprised though when they killed it after just a few episodes. Seems they wanted/expected instant success, even thought the original took quite a while to catch on in the UK, "apparently".

An interesting item on the web:
http://www.breakingnews.ie/2003/12/29/story127396.html

What whould your top ten be?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I hated The Office, I hardly laughed, and that is unusual as Brit sit-coms are among the best IMHO. It is not a patch on Only Fools and Horses or Father Ted, which in my books rank among the greatest sit-coms of all time.

Mark

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THe "whit" in this program does take a weird sense of humor. The whole thing is filmed as if it's a serious fly on the wall. No canned laughter, no giggles from the "actors/actress". To all sense of purpose it's real.

Then when you step back and realise what's going on, it is one of the funniest shows ever. And that comes from a BIG, "only Fools and Horses" and "Fawlty Towers" fan. It's NOT as funny as those two but real real close.

TTFN

·
Registered
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmotoy
I literally tried to watch the first episode 3 times, and I never could make it entirely through. By the middle of the show I was ready to maim the boss for reasons I don't even know.

I really want to like it, too. I'm gonna try a different episode, I think.
I'm with you, Gizmotoy. I rented the DVD from Netflix and watched the first episode. I had heard so much about this series I REALLY wanted to like it. But, I sent the DVD back watching only the first episode. All it made me do was cringe.:confused:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just as I thought! When I moved here from england I remember not thinking that american comedy was funny because it was too "in your face". Now, I've adapted to american comedy, but I still love english dry humor best. Americans for the most part haven't ever experienced this kind of humor, so naturally, don't find it funny. Different cultures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.