AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this strictly speaking belongs in the HTPC forum, but I'd like to hear from other CRT users who's tried TT 2.01.

Lured by the rave reports about image quality from some in the TT forum, and not least too by the ability to do lipsync adjustments, I downloaded the TT upgrade yesterday. Been using TT 1.5 earlier, with no extra filters and processing (no FFDShow in other words..)

Lipsync adjustment as expected is a great addition. Finally I'm able to get audio and video in sync !.

Unfortunately, I must say I'm not happy with the image. Overall seems darker than 1.5 and I get the impression that the dynamic range is somehow smaller. Been trying to calibrate via a testdisc, but can't make it look like 1.5. The worst as I see it is that I seem to have lost virtually all black detail. With 1.5 I seemed to have virtually an infinite amount of shades of black. With 2.01, black is black, with no real variation. May sound like a typical case of brightness being set too low, but if I increase it any further, it just turns black into grey (and that kind'a defeats the purpose of having a 92 kg lump bolted to the ceiling.. ;) )

All playback has been done with overlay and TT only - still no external filters or processing like FFDShow.

System is a PIII 933MHz with a Tyan Radeon 9600 Pro. Drivers are an older Catalyst version. Can't remember the no. offhand, but they're back from around January.

Operating system is XP Pro w/SP1.

Can't help wondering if TT 2.0 has been made to cater mainly to the digital crowd. We CRT'ers are surely a minority (if not an endangered species.. ;) ), and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of overly bright digitals that would benefit from a general lowering of the brightness.

While there were some scenes in some movies that looked fantastic (PAL Superbit Fifth Element for example), others definitely seemed to have lost that LC-CRT magic and I was left feeling "that's what it would look like on a digital...". Not really what I had hoped for, I must say, so I'm very interested in hearing from other CRT/TT 2.01 users.

Cheers,

Erling

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
....Maybe you're just in the same HTPC-hell as I am right now. For some

reason my picture is incredibly grainy, no matter what PJ I use and so on.

Remember that gamma is your friend!...and so is the 1292!:)

Nicholas

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Erling
[...]

Overall seems darker than 1.5 and I get the impression that the dynamic range is somehow smaller. Been trying to calibrate via a testdisc, but can't make it look like 1.5. The worst as I see it is that I seem to have lost virtually all black detail. With 1.5 I seemed to have virtually an infinite amount of shades of black. With 2.01, black is black, with no real variation. May sound like a typical case of brightness being set too low, but if I increase it any further, it just turns black into grey (and that kind'a defeats the purpose of having a 92 kg lump bolted to the ceiling.. ;) )

All playback has been done with overlay and TT only - still no external filters or processing like FFDShow.

System is a PIII 933MHz with a Tyan Radeon 9600 Pro. Drivers are an older Catalyst version. Can't remember the no. offhand, but they're back from around January.

Operating system is XP Pro w/SP1.

[...]

Cheers,

Erling
I have found the contrary to be true.

I have much improved shadow detail, a much improved 3D look in very dark scenes, excellent control over the gamma adjustment (they're way off on my Radeon 9600).

You have to use the Gamma controls to adjust your shadow detail. The brightness control will most likely mess up your blacks. I have brightness set to -6 and gamma to +90. Saturation is set to -50.

(for Overlay)

If you use VMR9 you will have to make gamma adjustments in powerstrip or the graphics adapter controls.

Nvidia have also posted a patch for NvVPP here on avs forum.
patch

It really improves the PQ, but your CPU might be too weak for it.

I use the Omega ATI Catalyst 2.5.90. I tried the ATI Catalyst 4.10, but it seemed to have some bugs in it.

Kai

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the replies.

Guess I'll have to try and mess around with the gamma then...

Nich:

I was actually very happy about my picture with TT1.5. My biggest and most annoying problem has been that the PC seems to crash on average one time pr. movie. Freezes completely, with nothing else for me to do than pull the plug, restart and find my way back to the point in the movie where it happened. Very frustrating !! So far, that hasn't happened with TT2.01, but I don't dare hope yet....

P.S: Any news about the fans ? :)

Kai:

A gamma value of 90 sounds wild, but I'll give it a shot later tonight and see if I can find a useful setting. Yesterday, I ended up with brightness +20, contrast +4, hue -2, saturation -5 and gamma 0. Gamma in the graphics drivers is left in neutral too.

And I think you're right about my CPU being too weak for NVPP (and WMR 7/9 too)

Cheers,

Erling

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
TT 2.01 has been very stable for me. No issues at all, just a great picture. After calibrating TT picture controls with AVIA it was clear gamma needed to be increased. This helped quite a bit.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
I only had time for about an hour of playing around with calibration stuff (I had people waiting to watch a movie, there is only so much they will stand!!! )

I just got TT2.0, I have not yet installed the patch, and I have not used 1.5.

However, With overlay, things were darker than what I was getting with ZP. I switched to VMR9 and things were much better, and I was preserving BTB detail. IT was very strange, in overlay it still seemed like I was preserving BTB detail, but I had to REALLY crank the brightness all the way up to even see that. in VMR 9, it was like before, I just bumped it up enough to see the BTB bar on DVE. I am very satisfied with the picture quality, but I've some more testing to do. I have the feeling from what I was seeing, that somehow the vmr9 is preserving studio RGB levels. I will test more tomorrow and this weekend.

for future reference, my HTPC has a 5700LE running RGB to a marquee 8500.

I was most impressed with the lack of crashing, and the ease of navigation (fast!), etc. I was having problems with audio crashes in ZP and powerDVD. I was awaiting TT to deal with these, since I wanted an easier interface. The technical stuff I haven't had time to focus on yet, but it does look great.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I upgraded a test partition on my htpc to TT2.01 and have started evaluting it with an FX5700u. So far it's been pretty stable and looks good. But I can't say it looks any better than TT1.5 with a 9800pro. I need to make sure everything is properly calibrated before passing judgement.

Chris, what settings are you using for VMR9 on the 5700? Tonight I'm taking my htpc over to a friends and connecting it to an HD2k. I'm really curious to see how different settings including ffDshow look on a 1920x1080 projector.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:

Much much better now !!

Kai, I took your settings as a starting point, an after some calibration ended up with the following:

Brigthness -3

Contrast +2

Hue -1

Saturation -50

Gamma +90

Got an email from TT support (who's been very kind and helpful) with the following suggestion:

Brightness -5

Contrast +5

Hue 0

Saturation 23

Gamma 75

With the exception of Saturation 23 being too high in my case, those are the settings I will use as my basis from now on. With the aid of the blue filter in the 'Sound&Vision Home Theater Tune-Up' DVD I'm using, I end up with Saturation 0.

Just had a brief look at Matrix Reloaded, PAL edition and the image is amazing !!

Now I understand what people have been raving about. Colors seem incredibly rich and nuanced, and the detail level in the image seems noticeably increased.

Very much relieved that it could get to look so much better than yesterday.

Thanks to everyone who's answered so far.

Gotta go, I'm off to ogle some more... :p

Cheers,

Erling

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Steve: I am fairly sure that my video card settings I left at default with VMR, I would have to adjust them for overlay for them to look right and not be dim I believe.

Are you headed to darin's with your computer, or someone else with the HD2K?

For some reason I wasn't able to get ffdshow to work before with ZP, I haven't tried it with TT yet, I will probably be able to do that later tonight, or tomorrow. I can get back to you with specific settings then.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Chris, it is Darin's hd2k. You want to join us? I got ffdshow working with TT2.01 and VMR9 the other night. Haven't had a lot of time to experiment with different settings yet. Let me know what you end up with and we can compare results.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Steve, I may head up today, I'm not sure though. I have to head out right now, so I won't have the chance to play around with TT today, but I'll be playing with it over the weekend a bunch, and will let you know how things go. Before getting TT2.0 I was just using powerDVD, and ZP in conjunction with the codecs that powerDVD has. It looked great, but had audio crashing problems, and I didn't have the gumption to do much fiddling because I was waiting for TT2 to come out.

I was having a little difficulty with WMV played through TT2.0, but I've skimmed some ideas on the TT forums and here that may help that. All the downloaded files were just great, but coming off the T2 DVD it was jerky as heck. And in not having any experience with the older TT, I'm just discovering what I can do with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.