AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every once in a while I see a stray posting here about a new band or CD someone really likes. And as an old guy (and moving away from the left coast) I've long since been out of the loop on cool new bands.

But I stumbled across a disc called "The Tijuana Sessions Volume 3" that I've been grooving to non-stop for the last few days. I grew up in San Diego where Tijuana was a favorite family destination (Jai alai, Horse Racing, etc) then offered altogether different forms of entertainment and carrousing as I got older. But Tijuana's been with me like a crazy uncle any time I have an ache to live on the edge.

"Tijuana makes me happy" is the second track of this upbeat dance/electronica disc that ingenously mixes all sorts of south of the border beats, instruments, sounds etc. Heck I can almost smell Tijuana listening to this (which previously required getting physically within 50 miles or so). I can't tell you how fun this disc is, but thought I'd share.

It's like being in TJ on shrooms. Anyone else listening to it?

Here's a URL Click here for a URL

·
Registered
312 Posts
Heard some of this on the radio a couple of nights ago.Wonderful!Track I heard was a great recording wonderful for demoing a system.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'll have to check this out.

I was a frequent visitor of Tijuana from 91' to 95' when I was stationed in 29 Palms, near Palm Springs. Every other weekend was either Tijuana or Vegas. Some of the best times of my life.

I'll post back after I get the cd. Thanks for the heads up.

Herm

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulum
Heard some of this on the radio a couple of nights ago.Wonderful!Track I heard was a great recording wonderful for demoing a system.
I actually bought the album as a download for my Sony MP3 (actually ATRAC) player. But I can tell you it's a great headphones disc. I think I'll also buy the CD for the home system since it does sound like it should be reference, and it won't be in a lossy format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman
I was a frequent visitor of Tijuana from 91' to 95' when I was stationed in 29 Palms, near Palm Springs. Every other weekend was either Tijuana or Vegas. Some of the best times of my life.
Wow, every other weekend TJ or Vegas? Those are some seriously debauched times - I wish I was along. ;)

The style of this is definitely electronica starting with more upbeat TJ inspired tunes (fun stuff in the style of The Orb or even Yello). Towards the end of the disc it's moves into chillout mode that's still quite good. Though one thing you can never do in TJ is chillout - you'd probably find yourself in jail with your wallet missing. :D

I haven't found any electonica worth listening to for at least 10 years, but I gotta admit this is brilliant stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.