AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just watched an interesting show on the training of Indians in Delhi for international call centers.

The show is "Nerd Nation" is on TechTV, and the episode is "Diverted to Delhi."

It repeats three more times this week.

The most amazing fact is that the Indians who want/get these jobs are college graduates. Obviously, they have to be fluent in English, but they also have to "neutralize" their accents and learn various cultural information about the Western countries. I guess the important things, like how to operate a PVR. come much later.

The sad part is that they are spoon-fed stereotypes of Americans that must make us all seem like insensitive, impatient, greedy sloths. Hmmm, well not ALL of us are like that!

The other thing to remember is that these people stay up all night to work in our timezone. Talk about your bad full-time jobs.

-BS

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Very interesting show. I watch it all at one setting, which is unusual for me.

Welcome to The New world Order ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
[QUOTE

The other thing to remember is that these people stay up all night to work in our timezone. Talk about your bad full-time jobs.

-BS [/b][/quote]

Uh, Im a Systems Analyst and I work third shift and I much rather work nights than during the day. Less hassle, less a-holes to deal with, less traffic, more pay. Doesnt sound very bad to me.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bargonaut

The sad part is that they are spoon-fed stereotypes of Americans that must make us all seem like insensitive, impatient, greedy sloths. Hmmm, well not ALL of us are like that!

-BS
Any generalising is a bad thing. However, I'm an immigrant to the US (all be it from another Western country) and I actually find that I'm less patient and more insensitive now that I've lived here for almost 10 years. Luckily my core values don't seem to have erroded much. However, I do think that over-seas help hired by US countries HAVE to be prepared for the worst case.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Uh, Im a Systems Analyst and I work third shift and I much rather work nights than during the day. Less hassle, less a-holes to deal with, less traffic, more pay. Doesnt sound very bad to me.
I'm not saying that everyone hates working a late-shift. However, these employees are required to emulate a foreign culture, speak in a non-native language, work all night so they mostly interact with co-workers and belligerent foreigners, and only earn an average wage at a job described as "high stress". That doesn't sound like a great package to me. Nevertheless, it is an opportunity to increase their English fluency, learn about other cultures, and gain confidence and business skills that are hard to acquire otherwise. Like most things, it comes down to making a sacrifice of time as an investment in themselves.

I don't feel sorry for them, but it strikes me as a bizarre microcosm within the standard Indian culture.

-BS

·
Registered
493 Posts
"60 Minutes" did a feature on this a while back, as did "Fresh Air" or "All Things Considered" on NPR. The dialect training they go through, and the proficiency level achieved by the best candidates is really amazing!

Speaking as a swing shifter, I can echo the sentiments about less stress and traffic. :cool:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

Originally posted by billywiggins
Quote:
I was a Systems Analyst up until a few months ago and I worked first shift and third shift... I had to work all day and then got beeped all night. It really sucked, then they fired us all.

I really HATED that job now that I look back at it. I hope my new career goes better.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Serra
I was a Systems Analyst up until a few months ago and I worked first shift and third shift... I had to work all day and then got beeped all night. It really sucked, then they fired us all.

I really HATED that job now that I look back at it. I hope my new career goes better.
Your new job title of "male gigolo" should go well at first. However, the first time a client asks, "what did you do before this?" and you spit out, "I was a systems analyst" your client is only going to understand the word anal. Things are destined to go downhill from there! I hear it requires some third shift work as well as some sucking.

Man, I can't believe I wrote that. I'm changing my username back to icecow ;-)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bargonaut
However, these employees are required to emulate a foreign culture, speak in a non-native language, work all night so they mostly interact with co-workers and belligerent foreigners, and only earn an average wage at a job described as "high stress".
Actually, English isn't a foreign language to Indians. It's one of the standard languages of the country. India was ruled by the British for a couple of hundred years you know. I think there are 3 different languages that Indians are taught in schools (English, Hindi, and another one). Hence the reason that most of our jobs are being outsourced to India and not China or Russia.

As for this being an "average wage" job, that's not correct either. They are highly compensated for Indian standards. But like call centers here, there is high turnover because their seen as dead end, stressful jobs. So these university graduates use these jobs as filler while they search for other more satisfying jobs, programming, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.