AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to pick up a few more movie channels from DirecTV to use for the next six or so months while I wait for the summer reruns to end. I currently have the Showtime package for DirecTV and I would like to add either HBO, Cinemax or Stars. The extra cost would be about $10.00 per month.

Given that I want to keep Showtime and pick up on of the other three, any suggestions on which one I should get?

I've been trying to do some research on the subject and it seems like no one is tracking things like, number of new movies, number of different moves, value of extra channels (Cinemax has 3 channels, HBO has 5, Stars has like 12) and original series.

It may be that each is about the same value, but I would hate to get HBO only to find out that Cinemax shows twice the number of new movies.

Comments?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Not sure about the movies, but HBO has enough high-quality productions of its own that I think that it is the best of the bunch. Sopranos and 6 Feet Under are enough to justify the cost to me; others like Sex in the City, although I've never watched it. And I typically find a few movies a month that I want to watch.

I just started a Showtime subscription. I would actually rank HBO ahead of Showtime if I had to choose, but I'm not sure I've paid attention to Showtime long enough to make a fair judgement. Also, 99% of what I watch is on the HD channels, so I really don't pay much attention to the other channels, although my kids sometimes watch them.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I agree about the HBO series being terrific, but keep in mind that often there are only 13 new episodes a year. So you may wind up not getting any episodes of The Sopranos, since I don't think they are starting their next season until September. (I have no idea if they are airing reruns between now and then, though! :))

·
Registered
211 Posts
When I look at the program guide, it looks like Starz probably has the best total package of movies. Except in primetime, it seems like HBO and Showtime show a lot of really bad material. OTOH (and IMO), the original programming of both HBO and Showtime is excellent. In my case, I subscribe to HBO and Showtime because I want the original material, but I don't pay much attention at all to the movies; if I'm interested in a movie, I will simply rent or buy the DVD and enjoy it in its high-resolution, widescreen glory. On that note, you might want to check out Netflix with which you can rent and watch as many movies (on DVD, of course) you want (three at a time) for $20 a month. It might be a better way to get you through the long rerun season. :D

-Aaron

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
>> I will simply rent or buy the DVD and enjoy it in its high-resolution, widescreen glory.

Both Showtime and HBO have high definition mirrors to their main channel, so you can get better-than-DVD picture quality for live viewing, and something close to DVD picture quality recording on the Replay. Assuming, of course, that you have a HD STB hooked up to your Replay.

I do agree that there are a limited number of movies worth watching or recording, but I figure that one or two a month, together with the original programming, make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Babbster
I will simply rent or buy the DVD and enjoy it in its high-resolution, widescreen glory.
Well, movies that I REALLY want to see or keep, I get on DVD. I have a fairly good collection of DVDs. I do feel that DVDs are worth it.

What I'm looking for is filler material, movies that I wouldn't want to buy or I just want to check out before I buy the DVD.

Quote:
Originally posted by Babbster

On that note, you might want to check out Netflix with which you can rent and watch as many movies (on DVD, of course) you want (three at a time) for $20 a month. It might be a better way to get you through the long rerun season. :D
I did that last year (four at a time), but the turn around time because WAY too long. When I first started, I would send back a movie and I would have one back in 7 days. When I cancelled my service, my turn around time had gone to 14 days. Four movies at a time, with two weeks turn around means that at the MOST you can get 8 movies a month, if I turn them around the same day I get them. The cost of 8 movies is 8*4 = $32.00. If that was possible, it would be cheaper than renting, but the truth is that ALL of the movies I want are wait listed, so the turn around was more like 3 - 4 weeks. So, I would rent filler movies, but then they got rid of a whole class of DVD, deleting HUNDERDS of DVDs from their inventory, the cost was too much and I wasn't getting any movies, so I stopped the service.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by acourvil

Both Showtime and HBO have high definition mirrors to their main channel, so you can get better-than-DVD picture quality for live viewing, and something close to DVD picture quality recording on the Replay. Assuming, of course, that you have a HD STB hooked up to your Replay.

I do agree that there are a limited number of movies worth watching or recording, but I figure that one or two a month, together with the original programming, make it worthwhile.
I don't have HD, so that isn't a problem.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
I just started a Showtime subscription. I would actually rank HBO ahead of Showtime if I had to choose, but I'm not sure I've paid attention to Showtime long enough to make a fair judgement. Also, 99% of what I watch is on the HD channels, so I really don't pay much attention to the other channels, although my kids sometimes watch them.
After SG-1 ended on Showtime, I came close to canceling my subscription, but Jeremiah is good enough to hold me. Plus a new show is starting soon that has promise, I can't remember the name...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've gone ahead and picked up HBO, it looks like the best value.

Thanks for the info........

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Serra

After SG-1 ended on Showtime, I came close to canceling my subscription, but Jeremiah is good enough to hold me. Plus a new show is starting soon that has promise, I can't remember the name...
Stargate SG1 did NOT end on showtime, as far as I can tell... the season finale was just a week ago... and ended with a huge "to be continued". I do hate what they did with Daniel...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Actually, I think that Stargate is moving to Sci-Fi. It's not ending, it's just that the new season will be on a different channel.

The new Showtime series Oddessy 5, sounds pretty promising. It will be in HD (on the HD channel), and is by the saqme guy that did Babylon 5, a show I really liked.

·
Registered
166 Posts
acourvil, the series by the Babylon 5 creator, J Michael Strastinski (dunno how to spell it...:)) is actually Jeremiah, though Oddessy 5 does look to be the Stargate replacement. Jeremiah, to me, seems really hit or miss. I liked yesterday's ep, but a week ago was terrible.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You're right, I got the two mixed up.

I've only seen a couple Jeramiah eps, since I just started the Sohwtime subscription. My initial impression is that they have a very strong cast, with writing that is only fair to middling. But I can see how it could be very good, at it's best. I'll watch a bit more and see how it develops.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Actually, I think that Stargate is moving to Sci-Fi. It's not ending, it's just that the new season will be on a different channel.
June 7th!!! Mark it down so you don't miss them. The replacement Daniel will be starting on SciFi.

Quote:
The new Showtime series Oddessy 5, sounds pretty promising. It will be in HD (on the HD channel), and is by the saqme guy that did Babylon 5, a show I really liked.
I'm waiting to see Oddessy. It is a shame that Stargate moved, SciFi hasn't really had a lot of really good orginal shows, IMO. I don't find myself watching SciFi all that often.

I was going to check out Witchblade on USA this season, but it looks like that might be going down the tubes.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
>>I don't find myself watching SciFi all that often

I watch SciFi for Farscape, and that's pretty much it. But it's enough so that I would not give up SciFi.

>>I was going to check out Witchblade on USA this season

I thought last season was pretty interesting. Good characters with some interesting plot points. But the last show of the season did a time trick thing that means that next season starts everything over. It could be good if done well, but there are a lot of ways to cop out now thatthey are re-hashing things. I like it enough that I'll watch at least the first couple shows of the new season.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Serra

Well, movies that I REALLY want to see or keep, I get on DVD. I have a fairly good collection of DVDs. I do feel that DVDs are worth it.

What I'm looking for is filler material, movies that I wouldn't want to buy or I just want to check out before I buy the DVD.

I did that last year (four at a time), but the turn around time because WAY too long. When I first started, I would send back a movie and I would have one back in 7 days. When I cancelled my service, my turn around time had gone to 14 days. Four movies at a time, with two weeks turn around means that at the MOST you can get 8 movies a month, if I turn them around the same day I get them. The cost of 8 movies is 8*4 = $32.00. If that was possible, it would be cheaper than renting, but the truth is that ALL of the movies I want are wait listed, so the turn around was more like 3 - 4 weeks. So, I would rent filler movies, but then they got rid of a whole class of DVD, deleting HUNDERDS of DVDs from their inventory, the cost was too much and I wasn't getting any movies, so I stopped the service.

You should look into Netflix again. They have opened several new distribution centers across the country.

For instance they just recently opened up one in Flushing, NY which for me means that I now geta turnaround time of 4 days. Sometimes 3.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.