AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally get to do some posting today and I cant believe all the spam thats coming in from bogas names and subject lines.

I get a few here and there but darn it its getting out of hand. I have Earthlink and spam guard on (middle) setting and also EZ Trust filters and no spyware.

Where is this crap coming from? My computers clean and updated twice a day.

I dont want to go to the highest security of spam guard because it needs a conformation for in coming e-mail and Im away a lot, anyone seen this other then me?

I pay good money not to have it. Thanks in advance. Doug

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is your addy in the similar format like [email protected] or something like that? Because one thing I noticed and read in articles before is that spam generator programs can clutter up www traffic trying to send emails to all these possible addresses, and it's just a matter of time before they stumble across yours if you have an easy to pick address. Then once the program realizes that that message to YOU didn't get sent back to itself as 'undeliverable', then it KNOWS it's a valid address so now they put that address (yours) onto a new list of addy's marked as 'For Sale', then companies and vendors buy those addy lists and send you JUNK mail.

I use hotmail, with enchanced block turned on (which is the middle setting) and I NEVER get spam. I only get e-mail from people I have solicited and gave them permission to send to me. I believe the reason is because the format I go with is first 2 initials of my name, then my last name, and the @hotmail.com, and w/ this format the generators never stumble onto mine. Example would be like [email protected] and with that type of format I don't get any spam at all. I got friends who also use hotmail who use addys kinda like [email protected] for example, and they get spam all the time

I don't know how Earthlink's privacy policy is either. Perhaps that is an issue too. I know AOL had an issue once with an employee who was sharing e-mail addys w/ a vendor

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ojosch,

Much thanks for the info, I do know Earthlink gives me 8-10 email addresses all with a variance of my primary e-address, this may be my problem because they are active by default I believe. I can delete them but never thought about that. What do you think? Is the damage already done? Doug

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I just switched my internet provider because they were spamming me.

When I went to cancel, they said they could have a technician fix the problem. I guess they would just put me on a no spam list. Thing is they only get the message about spamming people when it cuts into their pocket book, so I told them to go take a hike.

Deron.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
If your e-mail address is on your website, or on a newsgroup the trawlers find it and spam you senseless.

The only way really is to change your e-mail address, pick one that is not going to be in a spammers dictionary and e-mail your exisiting client base with the new address and not put your e-mail address in standard format anywhere public.

I think spamming should be punishable by public castration.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I got several e-mail addresses, one hotmail address that I don't care about.

This is were 90% of all webforms get routed to (when you have to sign up for a forum or whatever).

One which I use to the other 9%, like my account information for dynamic dns etc.

The last one is used for personal contacts (friends etc.).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.