AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a major scare today. Basement floor alarm went off!!! Luckily it was just blow back from the sump pump not a failed pump. Time to get a real back up system, this was an omen! What do you guys do to keep your sub's safe?..... And the rest of the basement...

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
I live in one of the driest spots in the continent with a monthly average of 0.8 inches, just very slightly wetter than Las Vegas.
We are sitting over 1000ft above sea level so no risk of tidal waves.
It would literally take a nuclear winter followed by a hot summer to flood my theater with snow melt (knock on wood), followed by 40 days and nights of heavy rain.
In which case house-insurance kicks in (if anyone is still alive that is...)

There are no water pipes entering my theater.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! Being outside Chicago, it's a problem around here. I found that the pump was not perfectly set on the floor of the well, so over time it came loose at the check valve so when it went to eject water it sparayed in the area and the water hit the sensor I have which called my alarm company. I'm going to put a couple of spare tikes under it. Phew, sub's are safe!

·
Registered
207 Posts
We had a couple scares last year when the furnace humidifier drain line plugged and dumped all over the basement floor, so I installed a couple of the Harbor Freight water detectors at critical places. Thankfully (maybe?) the Monitor 70's didn't seem any worse for the wear of sitting in wet carpet. Now had they died, I'd have had a better reason to upgrade....

We also have a sump pump, but it's plumbed into tile drain lines under our slab. We'd need about 2 inches of water in the basement before it began spilling over into the pump basin from the surface of the basement floor. It seems like it could have been done differently, to where the sump could take any water ponding on the floor in a worst case scenario where the floor drains aren't working. But maybe it's a code issue or something.

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
There was some freak flooding here this fall in low choke points, even with this much rain (which I've only seen twice here in my entire lifetime), the ground around my theater was barely damp.

I was enjoying the lightning show, unaware of what was going on elsewhere in town.

It would take at least 2-3 times as much rain as we saw that day to start affecting my basement, and my theater is 6.5ft above my basement (not sure how much rain that would take, maybe 6x that).

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts