AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was discussing the HDTV cutoff date with a friend (I think it's in 2009 now?).

It has got me wondering, who wants it?

TV stations? To my knowledge most of the cable stations haven't started broadcasting in HD yet.

J6P? Get a grip. My old man's got a 62" DLP he's never even calibrated being fed by the DirecTV receiver he got in 1999! Looks like crap and he loves it.

Most of the people I know are perfectly happy with the washed out signal they are currently getting from Comcast.

Heck, I've seen HD and love the signal. But the choice between giving up my 5040 for it? Not gonna happen.

Comcast and satellite? This one makes more sense to me. But only because they can then find a sneaky way to push things all digital. Of course they are only going to give you a picture slightly better than what you had on analog and use the bandwith savings to sell you more features.

FCC? Again, they seem to benefit the most by the opened up airwaves ready for lease.

Is there another part to this or is that about right?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Reminds me of when I was installing VoIP last year. I was working with someone employed by Cisco. He said "the cell phone has been the greatest thing for VoIP. We can compress the voice signal pretty heavy now. So long as we are on par or a little better than the voice quality of a standard cell call no one complains."

·
Registered
788 Posts
The cutoff date is for analog broadcasts; it's not about HDTV, it's about DTV. The primary purpose is for the government to make some money by auctioning off RF spectrum. And, politics being what it is, I'm sure many industries which stand to profit from forcing consumers to buy or lease new equipment paid their congressional representatives to get this pushed through.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would guess most people on AVS would want it. But we obviously don't represent the traditional buying public.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I officially made the switch to HD a while ago and haven't looked back. Most of my TV watching is done on a 43" Pioneer Elite plasma or a 60" Sony SXRD. The difference between HD and SD on these sets is night and day. For the time being, my three 50xx's are still in use, but I hardly ever watch shows on them. At this point, the Replays are used mostly for IVS or as a backup in case one of my shows fails to record in HD. My HD recording needs are met by two E* 622's and a Moto 6412. This allows me to record six HD shows at once. Obviously, I miss the cool features and reliability of the Replays, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Give me HD or give me death!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I want HD and I want the stations in my area to broadcast at their full strength NOW instead of waiting until they pull the plug on their analog signals. A ChannelMaster 7777 and numerous antenna tweaks later and I've only made small improvements. I don't like not getting HD versions of all the channels I already can receive analog. Being UHF for HD versions is part of the problem, but I've found the FCC data which shows their output levels.

I haven't given up Replay, since I feed HD downverted to a Replay. Compared to how poorly snow gets digitized, dropouts are much more tolerable.

Disappointments? Yeah, there are a few, but those are from the particular TV I chose, an Olevia. (It was a heck of a bargain, has a great picture, and a great warranty.) The data is already being transmitted for every HD receiver to have a program guide; the maufacturers just don't choose to make it a feature. Giving up Guideplus+ has been hard, especially for my wife. It was nice to press one button to know what's on and what's coming up. The best solution now is to cycle through the inputs to Replay's guide. (Yet another feature disappointment with the Olevia, no discrete input selection and no way to skip the ones not in use.)

·
Registered
5,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixt7gt350 /forum/post/0

...Being UHF for HD versions is part of the problem, but I've found the FCC data which shows their output levels.

Nothing you can't solve with GaAsFET and a stack of Jaycars.

Hey karnac can you provide us with a hypothetical (equivalent) zip for that cornfield of yours?

Just curious what you are up against.

Ever since that original accurian misadventure *flipflopped* the ReplayTV experience yet again, I've been on a crash course. I've nailed down an extra pair of full markets including essentially peanut power @ 75 miles out. The primary benefit is that I continue to have *full* bitrate HD alternatives available (so far -- knock on wood) in the ever increasing face of poorly executed multicasting.

·
Registered
788 Posts

Quote:

Yet another feature disappointment with the Olevia, no discrete input selection and no way to skip the ones not in use.

The Syntax-Brillian Olevia TV's are very interesting. They have several similar models that use different video/de-interlacing chipsets, features (and no doubt, performance) differ by chipset brand. Prices have been falling, but I'm waiting for cheaper 1080p displays. Anyway, if you go to the website and check out the downloads, you'll find that most features of the TV can be directly controlled via RS-232 (of course, someone has to write the controlling software), and firmware can be upgraded via USB (if I recall its interfaces correctly).

·
Registered
790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL /forum/post/0

Nothing you can't solve with GaAsFET and a stack of Jaycars.

Hey karnac can you provide us with a hypothetical (equivalent) zip for that cornfield of yours?

Just curious what you are up against.

Ever since that original accurian misadventure *flipflopped* the ReplayTV experience yet again, I've been on a crash course. I've nailed down an extra pair of full markets including essentially peanut power @ 75 miles out. The primary benefit is that I continue to have *full* bitrate HD alternatives available (so far -- knock on wood) in the ever increasing face of poorly executed multicasting.

I'll give you a hint:

Boilers, not Hoosiers

DTV query for "somewhere near" the glorious mile of farmland between me and the horrific development steamrolling my way

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadet /forum/post/0

The Syntax-Brillian Olevia TV's are very interesting. They have several similar models that use different video/de-interlacing chipsets, features (and no doubt, performance) differ by chipset brand. Prices have been falling, but I'm waiting for cheaper 1080p displays. Anyway, if you go to the website and check out the downloads, you'll find that most features of the TV can be directly controlled via RS-232 (of course, someone has to write the controlling software), and firmware can be upgraded via USB (if I recall its interfaces correctly).

I've already downloaded the latest firmware and no difference in the features available. 537H, which has the "better" chipset, as far as picture quality has been reported. No plans to go Blu-Ray or use it as a monitor, so 1080p wasn't even on my horizon.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurhurdler /forum/post/0

I want it. I gave up on my 5504 to have it. I love that I can get a free OTA perfect signal without paying my cable company a dime.

But you can't get a lot of other channels OTA that a cable or satellite company can provide. HD or not.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcrane /forum/post/0

Reminds me of when I was installing VoIP last year. I was working with someone employed by Cisco. He said "the cell phone has been the greatest thing for VoIP. We can compress the voice signal pretty heavy now. So long as we are on par or a little better than the voice quality of a standard cell call no one complains."

My Linksys/Cisco Skype VOIP phone is way better than my cellphone. I hate cell quality.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasco /forum/post/0

But you can't get a lot of other channels OTA that a cable or satellite company can provide. HD or not.

It just depends how much you watch on those other channels.

Putting occasional movies and hit and miss shows off to the side here's my cable lineup:

SG-1

Atlantis

BSG

Dr Who

Monk

Psych

Other thank Psych, all are available on DVD. If I bought them all new, it would come to $250 a year. And I could resell them when I'm done and recoup some money.

The cheapest HD package I can find would work out to be about $50 per month or $600 per year.

So it just depends on if the convenience of cable/satellite and the additional programming is worth that to a person.

·
Registered
290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasco /forum/post/0

You're right, but we just have the cheap limited-basic comcast cable... So there really is no difference for me.

I download from tv-torrents if there is any show that we don't get... like Psych, Angela's Eyes, Robin Hood.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts

Quote:

I'll give you a hint:

Boilers, not Hoosiers

DTV query for "somewhere near" the glorious mile of farmland between me and the horrific development steamrolling my way

"somewhere near" two dozen miles from *all* of a top 25 DMA?

Of course no stopping the steamroller.

So which digital channels are giving you trouble?

Depending on the nearness of "near" you should be able to get WISH-DT with bunny ears and everything else with a silver sensor. Unless you have massive local obstruction or adjacent and/or co-channel interference of some kind.

In the digital landscape, 1000kW ERP (1000 feet AGL) is close to full power. For a contour radius of 60 miles upper UHF. Using a 7777 from your near exurban cornfield may well overload. On the other hand I need to sight 70 miles to a comparable market which is providing my best quality HD. I *must* use carefully tweaked arrays utilizing Titan preamps to maintain lock.

Depending on your LOS, FORT WAYNE could be an alternative shot? As well as anything closer... if not really worth the effort or rotation. The only problem with BLOOMINGTON is that it looks like it may be behind INDY which gets into overload problems trying to *see* through there.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurhurdler /forum/post/0

You're right, but we just have the cheap limited-basic comcast cable... So there really is no difference for me.

I download from tv-torrents if there is any show that we don't get... like Psych, Angela's Eyes, Robin Hood.

I recommend watching Engineering an Empire from History and Man vs. Wild, I Shouldn't be Alive, Survivorman, and Everest:Beyond the Limit from Discovery. These cannot be rented or bought on DVD that I know of.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.