AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to get rid of my 3 disks (mix of scsi and ide) and go down to one drive. Ended up with a Maxtor Diamond Max, 250GB, 16MB, ATA-133. More DVA room, yipee.

So, windows sees 131 GB (BIOS sees it fine).

I've even done SP4 and the registry hack, and it still doesn't see it right.

Ultimately, I want to (i think) make a slipstreamed install disk that can handle the large drive without any other work since this will (ultimately) be my only drive.

Can anybody help me out?

I can't seem to find any info about a large disk being your primary (or only) disk. Maxtor has a thing I could install, but that isn't what I want..

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I found different directions on the registry fix (to enable the 48-bit LBA). Turns out I goofed it up the first time. So now my existing win2k install sees 233 GB (or whatever).

Still dont' know how to install to that disk and have it be full size.

·
Registered
412 Posts
when instaling you need to have the latest service pack slitstreamed into the install disk in order to install the os on a large disk ( you would of thought M$ learned from the 1024 cylinder mess it had with 95 ) check out this site
http://old.bink.nu/bootcd/

whatever you do . .DO NOT INSTALL A BOOT LOADER!! you will kick yourself for weeks if you do this as some of them are neer impossable to remove.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did that, with SP4. Still only sees 131GB of it.

on my existing 2K install, I installed SP4 to see if that would make it work (booting from old disk, with new disk also installed). It didn't. I also had to add the "EnableBigLba" registry fix.

How do I do that to my slipstreamed disk?

Just to make sure... SP4 includes all the fixes from SP 1-3, right?

·
Registered
65 Posts
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows 2000. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

260910 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260910/EN-US/ ) How to Obtain the Latest Windows 2000 Service Pack

The English-language version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later: Date Time Version Size File name

--------------------------------------------------------

10/19/2001 01:42 PM 5.0.2195.4529 86,768 Atapi.sys

04/19/2002 05:43 PM 214,938 Update.inf

·
Registered
412 Posts
if the new disk has been partitioned without the service packs ( reg fix etc ) then anything you do after that will have no effect .. the new disk must have all partitions removed , system re-booted , then re-partitioned ... the second time you partition it should see the full disk .. hence the slip stream onto a new install ( so the disk is getting partitioned within the windows setup with the sp ) .. in some case windows f's up the disk so bad the only way to truly remove the partitions ( and hence the "i am only 137gb" information ) is to boot into a linux type of disk ( toms root-boot works great for this )

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, here's what I ended up doing (before a couple of these posts).

In my existing 2K install, I partitioned the disk.

Make the new disk primary and boot into the 2k installer etc. When I got to the partitioning stage, it said i had 2 'bad' partitions. I deleted both and it finally gave me a max partition of 239 GB. So i said format, then it said formatting 239GB of 131GB (weird). All worked out, I guess. I have 233 GB after formatting. Seems crappy out of a 250 GB drive, but ok.

I couldn't get my slipstreamed install to see more than 131 without partitioning (as a secondary drive), then deleting the partition (in the install), and re-partitioning.

Am I nuts?

Figures too, because I was doing this to remove the heat of 3 drives. Sometime in my dinking around I semi-hosed up my one data (DVA) drive. Win2k knows it is bad, but doesn't have the room to restore the files on it. Borrowing data recovery software from work. The fun continues.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hard drives are specified by the manufacturer in decimal bytes.

So a 250 gb drive is 250,000,000,000 bytes.

250 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000 = 250 * 1,000,000,000

Computer software (Microsoft) specifies size in binary values.

A Gigabyte is 1024 * 1024 * 1024 = 1,073,741,824 bytes.

Divide 250,000,000,000 by 1,073,741,824 and you get 232.83 GB which is what the software will report.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know I'm full of problems lately, but I have a semi-bad hard drive.

When I boot up with it attached, win2k notices that it is bad and does a scan on it. After a while, it lists a file, and tries to restore it. It can't restore it because it is out of disk space. After a couple hours, it finishes and boots.

I am trying to use "Get DataBack for NTFS" that we have at work. Hard to explain, but I don't think it has found anything. It shows the disk having 0.00 free space (which I think may be part of the problem). It flips by saying Error 2 in X "ReadLogicalLBA" and lists some 8 digit LBA (that changes). X is the drive letter.

Can I replicate the windows 2000 file restore it tries on bootup, but with a different temp directory? Is there better recovery software I should try? Do I need to send the drive somewhere?

This crazy thing has 30Gb of mp3s and 25 some odd "important" DVA shows. I was going to use this drive as a backup to my new drive. So much for getting organized and starting to back up, like a good boy should. Man I'm ticked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.