AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rebuilt my HTPC with a fresh install of WinXP and somehow ended up with it and my office PC on the network in separate workgroups (one called 'home' and one called 'workgroup'). The network is using a Netgear MR314 Cable/DSL 802.11b Wireless Router.

Both PCs can "see" each other on the network, but shouldn't they be in the same workgroup?

Is a 'workgroup' the same as a 'domain'? And shouldn't both PCs be able to see any WiFi connected devices on the network as well?

I apologize for the OT questions -- I'm clearly no network administrator!

Thanks for the network noob help.

- Ken

·
Registered
438 Posts
A workgroup is just a name for a set of computers that might be related. A domain is a much more formal thing with common authentication, etc. Anyway to change the workgroup of a windows XP machine. Click on Start. Right Click on My Computer. Click on Properties. Click on Computer Name. Click Change... Change the workgroup box so they share the same name. hope that helps.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
What would be the advantage of having a home network setup with domains rather than with work groups? What would be the disadvantages?

With my office notebook I log on into a domain at work. At home I can use this notebook to access the Internet via my router. However, I cannot see the other computers of the home network, and vice versa. I assume this is because the are not part of this domain? What would I need to do to be able to allow the PCs to see each other? (I can only tinker on my own PCs, not on my business notebook.)

Sorry for more noob OT questions....

Thanks!

_____

Axel

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think "domains" were designed to be used with a windows server that provides domain controller / administration functions, and also with active directory.

scott s.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Don't change your laptop domain info, or you will not be able to log on to the network at work. You network admin may be able to add your home workgroup. Although if it's sensative data they may not want to.

Eddie

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fasteddielv
Don't change your laptop domain info, or you will not be able to log on to the network at work. You network admin may be able to add your home workgroup. Although if it's sensative data they may not want to.

Eddie
The only place where I can modify anything is on my home network. Should/Could I create a domain with the same name as my business PC? Would this be difficult to do? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

____

Axel

·
Registered
194 Posts
A 'domain' can only be created on a server (Win NT Server, Win2K Server, Win Server 2003, etc.) The primary purpose of a domain is not for simply file sharing but to add the additional services that run on a server (some can also be hosted on a reg XP pro in a workgroup) like web server, FTP server, active directory, etc. AND to provide centralized authentication services (verification of users IDs/passwords, etc.) and to allow for roaming profiles (allows a user to logon to different physical machines but make it transparent to them that they are not on their regular box, i.e. everything looks and acts exactly the same regardless of which box they logon to (except for hardware differences, etc..).

Given your post you should only need a workgroup as real domains require an in-depth knowledge and higher level of maintenance.

Be careful about your work system, any company that has any concern for information assurance/security will prohibit connection of the work provided machine to any infrastructure other than theirs without having a firewall and/or VPN services on each client. In that case they should have very clear and published procedures and policies on how and under what circumstances it would be allowed.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On my original question: I did exactly what Timle described and it worked perfectly. If everything were only that easy . . . .

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Thanks for your input, xstanbx! That helped. I guess, I will have to leave everything "as is".

_____

Axel

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Axel,

You can follow the same procedure outlined above by Timle on your laptop. Simply change the workgroup name to the same name as your home network (do make note of the standard workgroup name though). When you are done at home you will have to change the workgroup name back to the standard name for your work. I do this all the time at home with my laptop.

Russ

·
Registered
194 Posts
Russ,

If your company has any concerns with IA, any sys admin worth his salt would have configured your box to lock down those settings via group policy to prevent you from being able to do that.....

I realize that in some instances increased flexibility and user convenience can justify increased risk, but only if this is done as part of a purposeful effort versus lack of understanding of the issues or through oversight, etc....

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
xstanbx,

As a consultant, the network settings have to be changed from location to location and therefore are left flexible. I should also note that the laptop does not contain confidential or private information (a generic laptop if you will) and is always connected behind a firewall.

Russ

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by russ fulks
Axel,

You can follow the same procedure outlined above by Timle on your laptop. Simply change the workgroup name to the same name as your home network (do make note of the standard workgroup name though). When you are done at home you will have to change the workgroup name back to the standard name for your work. I do this all the time at home with my laptop.

Russ
Hmmm, I checked my work laptop. There is only a domain listed, not a workgroup. It appears I can simply add a workgroup (the one from my home network) and toggle between workgoup and domain (I wonder if I need to reboot or log on again...). I will give it a shot tonight.

Thanks!

_____

Axel

·
Registered
194 Posts
Russ,

Sounds good, just keep in mind there is more at stake than just the information resident on the laptop, every infrastructure that it connects to (or thru) can be compromised by it. Remember the blaster worm was transmitted by simply connecting into a TCP/IP connection without the need to actually authenticate or access any services, etc....

(Sorry to get off the threat topic......)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
True,

That's why I'm always protected by a software and hardware firewall.

OT: I think that hackers are some of the most worthless people on the planet. Absolutely useless to society; who serve no purpose whatsoever other than entertaining their own id's with fantasies of chaos.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.