Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.msnbc.com/news/840279.asp

Just an interesting article. Kazaa aside, I wonder if this will amount to anything. A one hour HQ recording is equivalent to a hell of a lot of MP3s.

Would lead to hitting caps pretty quick.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I don't think there's all that much swapping now because most people have an upstream bandwidth limit anyway. The industry is reacting to this in the same way I react to a 'temporary' sales tax increase to pay for some ridiculous government project ... I know there's nothing temporary about it, and the industry is concerned that if this becomes a competitive feature more companies will add it.

So they're getting on top of this while public support is minimal and not many companies are doing it.

What the article you cite is advocating is more of a cap on usage, probably per month, as opposed to a bandwidth limit. Since even game demos are 150 Megs and up that would cause a lot of problems; for example, Greenies would be complaining because dead-tree magazine subscriptions would go up again and more demo CDs will get throw in the dump. Libertarians would complain that unlimited bandwidth is a fundamental aspect of natural law and threaten to wreck the internet if they don't get it. Republicans would insist that lowering taxes will lead to more bandwidth because more money to spend at the consumer level means more profit potential and thus more competition which means more companies would offer unlimited bandwidth. Democrats would insist if you pay more taxes the government will handle all of your bandwidth issues so you can pay eighty dollars more a month in taxes but get free internet, except for the taxes you pay on things you buy or use on the internet.

You see? It's just a big mess. The industry got lucky with fair use regarding VHS ... if they can just extend that to the digital world, it will be okay. Personally, I think it's a nice enough feature and I've used it once or twice, but it wouldn't make a difference in my usage of Replay. What I think should be avoided is making casual criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens by limiting something common sense tells them they should be able to do.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dallben
http://www.msnbc.com/news/840279.asp

Just an interesting article. Kazaa aside, I wonder if this will amount to anything. A one hour HQ recording is equivalent to a hell of a lot of MP3s.

Would lead to hitting caps pretty quick.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.