AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Will the AM21 still function and populate the menu with OTA channels if the satellite feed is not available or malfunctioning?

·
Super Moderator
18,206 Posts
That depends on how long your signal from D* is gone. I've had mine sit through storms where D* couldn't punch through the clouds for 20 minutes. No hiccups for viewing. I don't recall testing out the guide. Since the guide's held in the sat receiver's memory, it's probably good until reaching the end of the last data load, I'd think. You should survive a storm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thank you for the reply.

The system will be installed on a boat with a KVH HD Dish.  Normally, I would run seperate RG6 to each TV from the Air Antenna and use the TV Input to select Air vs Sat. With this setup, I always have backup if one of the systems fail.  

I thought that I could eliminate the selection of Input if I could feed the Air through the AM21 and use the Direct TV Box to select channels. That would feed both souce signals thru the Direct TV Controller(Genie).  Therefore, if the Controller fails, I loose both feeds. Not too concerned about this, but more about if I loose the sat feed beyond the memory capacity, the qustion is whether I would still be able to receive OTA broardcast on the Direct TV menu.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
No. The info in the guide about OTA feeds comes from the satellite. The AM21 only works through the HR DVR, and after the guide data run out, it will not give any info about what you are watching. However, though I have not done this, I have heard that even without a satellite feed you can watch but not record OTA with this setup. Again, though you can watch, you will not have info about what you're watching.

SMK

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Guide data is usually available for about two weeks. Unless your satellite reception is going to be interrupted longer than that, you'll probably be okay.

However, if the Genie that the AM21 is attached to fails, you're SOL since the AM21 cannot operate stand alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts