AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CM3020 antenna in my attic. I know amplifiers will improve the signal from a weak NTSC signal, but will they improve the signal strength of a weak digital signal? If it helps my STB is a Tosh DST3000 and I live about 50 miles from the towers. Since one of the HD stations I'm interested in is VHF, the amp I am considering is one that will boost VHF and UHF signals.

What are your experiences with this?

Thanks,

-Reagan

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Reagan,

A pre-amp (Wineguard ACT-4800, UHF only, VHF pass) helped get my off primary axis CM4248 (hooked in through a Jointenna) to hit New Hampshire Public TV (WENH-DT) because my Boston "flagship" affiliate doesn't see enough sets in the Boston area. So first hand it makes a big difference, but I would expect a lot of trial and error (and maybe some voodoo).

Tim

[This message has been edited by rudolpht (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Registered
128 Posts
I live 40 miles from the Boston transmitters in a not so great area. I have a high gain Rat Shack antenna in the attic(25' off the ground). I use a Channel Master UHF/VHF amp. It has a 12dB on the UHF side. I had breakups with a FOX station without the amp. With the amp FOX has a perfect picture. I also picked up a few point on the signal meter with the other station that were already working fine. I would try a low gain amp like I did. I was surprised most of the channels worked fine without the amp...

----Andy

·
Registered
979 Posts
There are lots of posts about antenna amps in the forum. I suggest you do a search and be prepared to read for awhile.

Bottomline: yes, preamps can do lots of good if used correctly. Your location 50 miles from the broadcasters is on the fringe of UHF unless you live up high with unobstructed line of sight. VHF will be easier. Check out http://www.antennaweb.org/antennaweb/ for more tips about station reception in your specific area.

--Gerald C

[This message has been edited by Gerald C (edited 08-13-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.