AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a serious newbie question--I searched the forum but didn't find a thread exactly on point.

I have a large antenna on my roof that was there when I moved into my house--this beast has about a 4-5 ft wingspan at its widest part. It has coax cable running down to my basement, but currently isn't hooked up to anything. I also have cable TV and satellite running into the house, and both of these are up and running. Now I want to get a HDTV and utilize the OTA antenna as well. My question is this:

Can I use a diplexer (or something else) and run the coax from the OTA antenna into the same coax that carries my cable tv signal? If so, do I need to split them out again when I get to the HDTV tuner? I don't have a tuner yet, but for the sake of discussion assume it will be a Sony HD-100. Thanks for any responses and sorry if this is a ridiculously simple question.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
You cannot use diplexors to combine OTA and cable TV because they are in overlapping frequency ranges. You CAN use diplexors with satellite and cable OR OTA (one at a time only). If you want cable and OTA at the same location, you will end up pulling seperate coax cables for each.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If you get a DTC-100 as your STB, you won't have to worry about it. It has 3 inputs, one for the satellite and two coax inputs that can each take cable or OTA. I have mine set up with a UHF antenna for OTA digital in one and my old analog cable in the other.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the prompt replies. Scooper--you read my mind. I was hoping to avoid pulling yet another coax across my basement ceiling. It shouldn't be too bad though since I will only have one HDTV (for now) to get it to, thereby avoiding all the distribution issues I had to solve with cable/sat. Thanks again, this is very useful and timely info.

By the way, my coax from the rooftop to the tuner will run approximately 150-200 ft--any issues with this long of a run and no amplification on the rooftop antenna?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
All we can say is try it. If the signal strength is not enough, I would suggest getting a pre-amp up on the antenna mast - it is generally better to amplify (when necessary) as close to the source as possible.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.