AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm installling an indoor antenna and need to make a long run (50') -- i bought RG6 and when i went to do the install i found a cable already in place from when i had cable tv-- and was wondering whether i could use this?

the cable is marked:

E83032 F6SSVX (UL) CATVX

would i be able to use this? - it would save me drilling another hole in my hardwood!

it would only be about 6 -8' of length, with the remainder being the RG6

thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
It's probably fine.. it shows up as a 75 ohm cable for cable TV. 50' is no big deal, if it's in good shape. Be sure to check the connectors at the ends, if you are planning on using existing ones.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys! saves another hole in the floor! plus, if the indoor antenna doesn't fly, then i could tap into this from the outside for a rooftop!

·
Registered
184 Posts
As a ham radio operator, I've found that UHF runs of transmission cable can be quite lossy, in terms of db loss of radio signals. For examle, using the "thinner" coax cable - ie) RG-58 - 100 feet of this cable has 10db of loss at 400 Mhz, and 16db at 900mhz. Obviously, this loss would overshadow the best antenna gain that can be obtained as that gain would be lost in the long cable run.

Why does tv antenna cable NOT have the same problems?

Sure, an amplifier can get (as manufactures state 26db of gain), but amplifing noise does not help much. What is the real deal with TV cable?

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
RG6 has about 4dB for 100'` from what I can quickly find. pmb, why are you saying 'TV cable doesn't have the problem'? Unless we're talking cryogenic temps here :) losses is losses... Or am I missing your point?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was comparing Rg-6 at worst case (900mhz) using published figures, and got 6.2 db loss/100 ft. RG-11 shows 4 db for same run.

What I'm saying is that these losses seem downplayed. Everyone seems to say that "runs of 100 feet are no problem and to use RG-6 quad shield cable"... In my opinion, 2db can be significant, especially when trying to grab some out of the area signals. I've been out of the TV antenna arena for so long (with cable), I'm trying to fathom why at these high UHF frequencies, larger/lower loss cable is not used. Maybe cuz it's the broadcasters are running 1000kw, and my ham radio stuff is running much less power for less freq flux density.

I'm trying to minimize losses, stretch every ounce of signal I can from an install. Everything I've researched for past couple hours say RG-11 is for 1000-2000 foot runs! It's not really that expensive, I found a 100 foot piece for $49 with connectors. I know it's a pain to run the 1/2" cable, but I have enough 9913 already run thru the house for ham antennas, another link of RG-11 wouldn't seem to difficult to run.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The cable losses can be largely neglected by using a pre-amp at the antenna. Losses after the first stage of amplification don't impact the ability to recieve week signals making it unecessary to squeeze every last dB out of the cable connection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.