AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in central VA. I was using a Samsung 160 stb and receiving WDBJ (cbs) out of Roanoke with no problems using an old roof top antenna in my attic. I switched to a Hughes E86 stb and now I am having trouble. I have tried the Turk TV55 no luck. What antenna would be the best to try? I would really like to keep it in the attic. I am about 40-50 miles from the station, I also sit on top of a hill in the open. Thanks! Oh...anyone in this area know when WSLS (nbc) goes live? Our local abc says it will be a year. They are so far behind :(

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Just from my experience..and remember, each situation is different..you will need a highly directional antenna with a rotator if you want digital reception that is near perfect..no breakups nor blocking. I am 52 miles from complex of stations and using TelevesDAT75 anteena with a CM pre-amp 7777. You will need a reasonble clean line of sight to transmitters from antenna head and a height of 25-30 from ground level using RG6 Quad cable. Bottom line, at 50 miles, an indoor antenna will not give you the reception you want. By the way, that top of the hill location will assist very nicely. Maybe you can get excellent reception with a top of line CM or Winegard UHF antenna. Be sure there are no VHF stations telecasting digital. Try the install first without a pre-amp. The 2 different STB's should both do the job by the way. A Turk, at 50 miles, is dead in the water by the way. Happy viewing.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
jeff..

I believe you, of course, but it always amazes me when a person is getting good reception at up to 60 miles. You must be getting some blocking..dropouts..be honest. Of course, reception depends on so many varied factors. And each situation is truly different and unique. That is what makes this fun..up to a point...I would say.

·
Registered
924 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
As time goes by and STB's become more sensitive (I would hope), stations go their limit on power, maybe even a better antenna is engineered, and we all learn more about digital reception..as all these things happen and more..it may be that our reception goes out to over 70-80 miles with zero dropouts, etc. The fact remains, however, the antenna should 'see' the transmitter or nearly see it, at least. That means height of antenna above ground becomes more important as we reach out for further signals. In some cases, I believe this could be the deciding factor. It is possible, as well, VHF could work better carrying digital than UHF in the future. In general, VHF works better than UHF carrying analog from my experience.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Is your problem in just the last couple of days? WDBJ DT is apparently having some kind of problem. I am sure they will fix it soon. I usually get a perfect picture but since friday I get constant dropouts. WSLS DT is live now but is broadcasting on low power. I am approximately 30 miles from their transmitter and pick them up fine. I do have a direct line of sight to the transmitter though. I do not know when they will go to full power.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chopkins...I started having problems on Thrusday when I switched receivers. What channel is WSLS? I have them at 10.1 but I get no picture. Thanks guys for all of the response!

·
Registered
269 Posts
This morning (Sunday 12/15/02) WDBJ DT is coming in perfectly. They must have fixed whatever problem they were having. WSLS DT is 10.1(analog channel 30), you must be on the fringe of reception. WSLS DT has started broadcasting NBC HD programming too. Maybe if you fine tune your attenna setup you will be able to pick them up.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I have my television in the basement hooked to my antenna and I normally get WDBJ's analog feed just fine on that tv. In the past week I have not been getting the analog feed hardly at all - and digital is breaking up pretty bad too.

Maybe it is the atmosphere, ice, killing the signal in my area and not directly a WDBJ thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well..I mounted a Turk TV55 on my chimney. I get WSLS and WDBJ but they are breaking up pretty bad. I am know wondering if it is them and not me?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Allright you have come out of the attic, now that you are out ditch the terk put a small mast and rotor on that chimney and throw up a decent antenna and watch tv.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Do you have any VHF channels?

·
Registered
924 Posts
It does not look like you have any VHF digital stations in VA so I would recomend a Televes DAT75 with a rotor, perhaps a preamp depending on distance to transmiters.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Magic123 --

I disagree that you can't get dropout free reception at 50+ miles with an indoor antenna. I live 60 miles south of the LA transmitters and I have been getting dropout-free reception of all the LA stations for awhile now with a couple of Radio Shack 15-1862 amplified indoor models (see my post at the bottom of this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=191672 ). Sadly, like its RS cousin, the ubiquitous DBT, this very capable antenna has been discontinued, but you can still find them.I've found about a 40% hit-rate at the local stores in my area.

Crag --

Since you now have the chimney mount, you should have no problem getting a setup that will give you great reception. First thing I would try is a RS 15-2160 UHF yagi. It is cheap ($21...) and if it doesn't work, RS has a good return policy. At 40+ miles, a preamp almost always provides an improvement. What I've found with digital reception is that it is not the gain that the amp provides that is important, but the noise figure. The CM 7775/7777 series have noise factors of about 2.0 db. Most others I experimented with have numbers from about 2.5 to 5. The RS 1171 "only" has 13 db of gain, vs about 26 db for the 7775, but in all the tests I've done recently, I could substitute either unit and get virtually identical results. In the real-world, the fact that the 7775 has separated the amp and power supply into two units, it might have an slight advantage, as you can get the amp section closer to the antenna. However, the 1171 has the advantage of being readily available in most areas.

If you aren't getting "pegged" readings on the E-86 with the 2160/1171 combo, it may be that multipath is a bigger issue. In that case, I'd try a 4-bay CM 4221 or a Winegard 4400, again with a preamp. I use the 8-bay 4228 (with a 7775...) as my "main" antenna but I recently got virtually identical results with the 4221/7775 combo.

-- Gary

·
Registered
244 Posts
Greg,

When did your reception problem begin? We had pretty bad icing problems at the WDBJ-DT antenna location on Poor Mountain over the weekend. Our techs are still trying to get us back to normal at the site, but I think we should be back to the pre-ice signal level by now(Tuesday afternoon).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bob, I switched receivers last thursday. That is when my problems started. I talked to one of your people the other day and they told me about the ice problem. What channel should I be checking for signal strength, 18? Thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
We insert a data packet into the bitstream that tells your receiver to label the program material on Channel 18 as 7.1, 7.2 and so forth, and to move the programming alongside our analog Channel 7(7.0) when it finds it. Most receivers "get it" and display the WDBJ-DT as 7.1, etc. We find that most people have the best success when they have their receiver do an auto-search. If you'd prefer not to do that, then try 7.1 and 7.2 first, followed by 18.1 and 18.2.

The material on 7.1 will be fulltime 1080i (full HDTV when CBS feeds it, and upconverted SDTV at other times) and the stuff on 7.2 will be SDTV. Right now we're repeating our newscasts on 7.2 most of the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bob, I talked to one of the engineers and he told me that they were still having some problems. I am pegging the needle on signal strength on channel 18. I am still getting a lot of freezing. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.