Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for all members,

I am about to purchase a 4228 and a 7775 pre-amp because I only have UHF HDTV channels in my area. I am curious about the install. Can I install on the side of the house? Also, would the antenna sit flat against the house or would it be on an angle? Finally, I am 39.5 miles from NYC towers do you think with the antenna and pre-amp I will be able to receive the NBC feed?

Thanks as always for the help

Paul

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I just bought an Antennacraft Super G1483 for $15.

My first test with it was inside the house just leaning against the wall, pointed due South instead of SW and it still performed very good in this non-optimal setting.

It is about 50" tall, 30" wide and about 6" deep so it can hang fairly flat against a wall but it might look pretty ugly. Also, I would think it would be a lightning hazard in such a position.

I'm about 40 miles from the South Mountain Towers, but here in Phoenix, I probably have a lot less multipath than you. So YMMV.

Personally, I'd try without the pre-amp first. With good RG6 cable, unless you're driving over 100 feet of cable from the preamp to the reciever, the preamp is more likely to make things worse rather than better.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The antenna should point toward the transmitters. If the transmitters you want to receive are very much perpendicular to the wall in question (if you are looking toward the transmitters with your back against it), then yes, it's conceivable that you could mount the antenna flat against the wall. However, it's designed to mount free-standing on a mast. Installed on a roof and mounted on a mast, it can be oriented for best reception and can be above and clear of neighboring obstructions.

You probably won't need the preamp unless you have a long and/or lossy cable run. You could also probably have gotten away with using the 4225 antenna which is half the size of the 4228. What you have should work, however.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.