AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Ann Arbor about 26 miles from the towers of all major Detroit DTV stations. I now have the RS DBT on my deck and am able to receive all 7 stations with good-great signal strength. This with the COAX passing under (pinched) the window.

I'm having a CM 4221 installed professionally tomorrow. I'll be having it mounted on my chimney facing east and hopefully will get great reception.

I need some advice:

• Is it better to mount the antenna on a roof gable than on a chimney wall? The chimney mount will be at a higher location than the roof gable I'm thinking of
  • Is having the back of the antenna free better than be blocked by the chimney wall? With a roof mount, will I be able to pick up channels 180 degrees away from Detroit (Toledo, OH)?
  • If the CM4221 produces enough signal strength, can I split the signal to feed to another Dish STB in a different room?[/list=a]

PL. flood me with your thoughts.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shankar
Is it better to mount the antenna on a roof gable than on a chimney wall? The chimney mount will be at a higher location than the roof gable I'm thinking of
The only down-side I've heard about chimney mounts is the possibility of loosening mortar on brick chimneys due to repeated cycling of wind loads, etc.

Quote:

Is having the back of the antenna free better than be blocked by the chimney wall? With a roof mount, will I be able to pick up channels 180 degrees away from Detroit (Toledo, OH)?
Check antennaweb.org to see if Toledo is even possible from your location. What's in Toledo that's not in Detroit? Sometimes you just want to go with the installation that looks good, also!

Quote:
If the CM4221 produces enough signal strength, can I split the signal to feed to another Dish STB in a different room?
The signal attentuation caused by splitters, should this prove a problem to you, is easily corrected by amplifiers, preferably an inline preamp.

Gerald C

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
a. Generally, higher is better (except in rare instances where a large, reflective horiozontal surface causes severe multipath reception, in which case moving the antenna up or down by inches or a foot or so might improve things)

b. If signals from Toledo are strong and stable enough to be worth persuing then it's nice to be able to "see" in that direction but you'll need a rotator to orient the antenna in that direction. How far away are the Toledo stations?

c. Yes, if there's still enough signal level after the splitter and extra coax.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Folks.

Gerald: I have a wood framed chimney with vinyl siding. So Mortar chipping is not a problem. If it is flush with the chimney is the wind load a big problem?

Toledo: The only reason would be that Toledo NBC seems to offer DD 5.1, whereas Detroit NBC comes in DD 2.0. I can get Toledo with a Small angle change with the RS DBT. I heard that the 4221 is less directional and thought that it may pick it up without having to rotate the antenna.

Splitting: If I get channels with 85% strength with the RS DBT, will I get better than 90% with the CM4221? If yes, then splitting may work. However, will I be able to tune into the DTV stations with my Dish 6000 AND be able to tune into the analog channels on my dish 4722?

Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
generally the more-omni directional the less gain in one directional. If you check out gain patterns, you will notice they basically look like a deformed ball off center from the focus point.

estimate the angle between the 2 locations and see if there is a point on the gain pattern that would accomplish it. If toledo is father away, yo might want the highest gain in that direction.

Tv antennas are generally so small you can mount them on anything.

When I was a kid in toledo, I mounted a ham antenna that was 40ft by 30ft on a 70ft tower

(Ican't believe I did that myself now!) that stayed up for years

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shankar
I live in Ann Arbor about 26 miles from the towers of all major Detroit DTV stations. I now have the RS DBT on my deck and am able to receive all 7 stations with good-great signal strength. This with the COAX passing under (pinched) the window.
Don't squeeze the Charmin and PLEASE don't pinch the coax...
Quote:

I'm having a CM 4221 installed professionally tomorrow. I'll be having it mounted on my chimney facing east and hopefully will get great reception.

I need some advice:

• Is it better to mount the antenna on a roof gable than on a chimney wall? The chimney mount will be at a higher location than the roof gable I'm thinking of

• Chimney mounting is a bad idea if you're talking about strapping a bricks and mortar chimney (mortar has no torsional strength). Since your chimney is framed in and you are attaching to the framing--no problem.
    Quote:
    [*]Is having the back of the antenna free better than be blocked by the chimney wall? With a roof mount, will I be able to pick up channels 180 degrees away from Detroit (Toledo, OH)?
    Ah! Here's a contradiction to be wrestled with. If you want to receive stations that are widely separated from each other--and 180 degrees is as widely separated as one can get--then the antenna needs to be able to rotate (you'll need an an antenna rotor) to point in the appropriate direction. That means it has to be above the top of the chimney structure and any other obstruction. If you're satisfied with only those stations that can be seen in one direction away from the chimney, then whether the back of the antenna is "free" or not doesn't matter.
    Quote:
    [*]If the CM4221 produces enough signal strength, can I split the signal to feed to another Dish STB in a different room?[/list=a]
    Yes.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes there are. Terk TV42.. However, they don't work most of the time according to forum members.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.