AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a recommendation for a qualified HDTV antenna installer in the Cinncinnati area? I've got an E*6000 receiver with the 8VSB module, and have had no luck getting local HDTV signals (~8 miles from the transmitters, but on the back side of a hill). I've tried a bow tie antenna inside and a CM 3021 on the second floor of my house. It looks like I'm going to need a medium directional antenna on the roof (from antennaweb.org), but I'm not much for heights (~30 ft drop on that side of the house).

I'm especially looking for someone who can give me a recommendation for a particular antenna, and then back it up -- one company offered to come out and throw something up for $200, but wouldn't make any guarantee on whether it would even help.

TIA

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
What kind of UHF analog reception do you get with each antenna you've tried?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its been awhile, but I seem to recall that UHF analog reception was not what I expected either, even with the CM 3021. Curiously, I was able to faintly pick up WAVE 3 out of Louisville (80 miles away) with the CM 3021 (a UHF only antenna), and couldn't even pick up all of the local UHF channels.

As far as digital, my best luck was actually with the VHF 10 signal (local digital ABC affiliate) and the indoor antenna. The signal strength was occasionally in the 60's, but dropped out VERY frequently. I got absolutely nothing digital-wise (UHF or VHF) from the CM 3021.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I expected that multipath was the likely culprit, and not signal strength, given the relatively short distance to the towers. Would there be any benefit to trying something like the Silver Sensor antenna I've read so much about? Certainly, if I could avoid putting some gaudy antenna up on the roof, I would do it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Chiller:

I don't think anyone will give you a guarantee. Like the rest of us in topographically challenging locations, you'll have to experiment. This will undoubtedly cost you, but sometimes you can get lucky.

My location is 29 miles from the xmitters without line of site. The look angle to the ridge between myself and the xmitter towers is about four degrees. Line of site is unfortunately less than two degrees. Like you, I only get signals (much attenuated) from diffraction over the ridge. Also, I suffer from multiple ghosts on analog UHF channels.

After much experimentation and research, I settled on a Blake JBX21WB antenna. See this thread for results of extensive testing by Glenn, whose location probably has similar problems to yours:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/013407-2.html

Have fun

[This message has been edited by cymro (edited 05-22-2001).]

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Not good. Your behind-a-hill location, poor analog reception and frequent signal dropouts with digital suggests you have a multipath problem. Multipath is the arrival of a delayed reflected signal in addition to the primary signal - most often from off-axis. With analog it translates to "ghosting" multiple images. With digital, however, the multiple signals confuse the receiver's decoding circuitry with extra bits and kill the reception. The CM 3021, a multiple bow-tie array with a rear reflector screen has decent gain and back suppression, but is susceptible to side reception. Maybe you'd have better luck with a yagi, like the CM 4248, which is better at suppressing side reception. With its rear corner reflector, it also exhibits good back suppression while enhancing gain from the primary direction by directing on-axis signal that would otherwise bypass the antenna onto reception elements for additional gain. However, I say "maybe" because in tricky reception situations, successful RF acquisition is often as much dumb luck as science.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.