AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'd like to get rid of Dish and just use the OTA antenna, but the antenna only works when its plugged into the Dish DVR. If I connect it to the TVs antenna input, there's no signal. I even tried our LG HD tuner (6 years old, unused for the past 4). I connected the antenna to the LG, then hooked the composite video out to a little analog set, and then to the Toshiba LCD(4 years old); nothing on the screen, and a "no signal" message on the tuner. In all cases I had the Toshiba or the LG tuned to 11-1, which has quite a high signal strength through the DVR. It's hard to believe that both the LG tuner and the antenna input on the Toshiba are completely non-functional. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
It's likely that the antenna is an amplified version. IIRC, some of the DISH receivers were designed to send DC power to the antennas. You'd need an appropriate power supply.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ken, I left out what apparently is a pertinent fact about the antenna: It's a DIY job, one of those aluminum-foil-and coat-hangar affairs that actually works quite well--at least, when it's hooked up to the DVR.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I would agree with scanning for the signals My Panasonic TV will not show any OTA channels until it has scanned for them, even if you enter the correct channel number directly. Part of the problem is that channel 11-1 that you are entering is actually some UHF channel and it is "mapped" to 11-1. For example, in Boston channel "5" is actually UHF channel 20.

The TV only can do this mapping if it has scanned for the channels first.

SMK

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been out of town...

Thanks, deltaguy. The channel scan worked for the Toshiba, but I still can't get anything on the LG. I mean, nothing--I can't even bring up the onscreen menu. The remote works; it turns the tuner off and on. When I turn it on, the "no video signal" message goes away, and is replaced by a blank screen. So it seems that something is getting through. I've been through the tuner's manual and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong(assuming that it's me, and not a toasted tuner). If it matters, it's model LST-4200A.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm happy we've got the Toshiba worked out. Have the batteries in the LG remote been there for four years? If so, they could have damaged the remote by leaking. Have you tried manually controlling the set without the remote?

There's always the unplug option for the LG set as well. I'd leave it unplugged overnight.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm pretty sure I put new batteries in the remote. When I push any button on it, the "STB" light lights up. And it does turn the tuner on and off, so I would presume it's working okay. I think I've pushed every button on the tuner's front panel, including the "menu" button, but I'll try it again tomorrow. The tuner is unplugged now.

Jeff

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, so I plugged the tuner back in, and, just for fun, used the S-video out instead of the composite. Got the same result: When I turn the tuner on, the "no video signal" message goes away, and is replaced by a blank screen. The "menu" button on the front panel did nothing. The other buttons seemed to work, as I could change the volume, channel, and whatnot on the front panel's display.

Jeff

·
Registered
19,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy /forum/post/20881987

I've been out of town...

Thanks, deltaguy. The channel scan worked for the Toshiba, but I still can't get anything on the LG. I mean, nothing--I can't even bring up the onscreen menu. The remote works; it turns the tuner off and on. When I turn it on, the "no video signal" message goes away, and is replaced by a blank screen. So it seems that something is getting through. I've been through the tuner's manual and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong(assuming that it's me, and not a toasted tuner). If it matters, it's model LST-4200A.

Thanks,

Jeff

Wow. I had the LG LST-4200A for years and it worked flawlessly, for about 6 years. Then it started to have audio go in and out on only 1 station, initially. If we changed channels and then went back, the audio was fine, for awhile. The only fix was to replace the entire board which cost more than I originally paid for the LG STB. That pushed the issue for us to purchase our first LCD and do away with the STB. However, that LG was on constantly in all kinds of weather for years and never lost a signal, from the very beginning of HD OTA in our area thru the transition to digital.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Some boxes will only output SD or HD, as selected in their menu, but not both simultaneously. If you previously had it connected to an HD set, you'll need to connect it to another HD set while you set the menu up for SD. Otherwise, you won't get a picture.

(I have a couple of FTA satellite receivers that I have to blink rapidly while watching the menu screen, when I have them default to PAL, 50 Hz output. That's the only way I can make out what they say.
)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just tried the component output; the only difference is that the "no video signal" message didn't go away like it did with the others. At any rate, the manual says that the composite and S-video out convert all formats to 480i.

There's also a "Display Format" button on the front panel that cycles between RGB, DVI, and YPbPr. I tried to get it to stick on the YPbPr (isn't that component video?), but I'm not sure I was successful.

Jeff

·
Registered
19,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy /forum/post/20890908

I just tried the component output; the only difference is that the "no video signal" message didn't go away like it did with the others. At any rate, the manual says that the composite and S-video out convert all formats to 480i.

There's also a "Display Format" button on the front panel that cycles between RGB, DVI, and YPbPr. I tried to get it to stick on the YPbPr (isn't that component video?), but I'm not sure I was successful.

Jeff

Yes, YPbPr is component video and thus analog. The LST-4200A that I had has a DVI output, so your tv needs to have a DVI input, unless you convert DVI to HDMI, and be able to support the native formats that the 4200A puts out. Which, if memory serves me correctly, is 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.