AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I have had an OTA antenna for over a month, with good readings on all of my possible channels. On CBS I pull a 72, on ABC its a 93, on fox:confused: (who cares) I get 100, and on NBC I get 100s. My only problem is with NBC. ALthough I get 100s, I still get picture and audio dropouts on it. I thought maybe my signal was too high, but I looked tonight, and my signal fluctuates between 0 and 100 rapidly. I have absolutely no idea why this happens, but all I know is NBC is unwatchable because of dropouts every 5 seconds. Please help me, You guys are my only hope. If it helps I have a radio shack antenna( the biggest one before a rotor is needed, the 120(maybe) and I do not currently have any sort of amp on the line)

Thanks again, Fred

·
Registered
189 Posts
Before your drive yourself nuts - check the azimuth to NBC compared to the other networks. It is highly unlikely that there is a problem with the antenna. I have a situation here that precludes using some channels because they are almost 90 degrees apart. That puts one set in the side null of the antenna when pointed at the other source. Side nulls can be very deep on high gain antennas resulting in reception only from multi-path. Although the signal can be very strong, it can drop out in a blink.

Of course, NBC may be dropping the ball too.

Just a suggestion.......

Don

·
Registered
154 Posts
Fred, you are describing the classic observation of multipath interference. Go to www.antennaweb.org and find the directions of your stations. Then try adjusting the direction of your antenna based on this information.

Depending on the terrain of your area, pointing it slightly up or down may help too. For example, if you live in a valley pointing it up about 10 or 15 degrees can make a big difference. When it comes to antennas nothing beats experimentation and trial/error.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Fred, I was just about to post the same thing. NBC-2 is killing me. It stays locked for three seconds then drops out, repeat. I can't watch anything because you miss every couple seconds of dialogue. I've only had my STB for a short time, but the signal was much more stable previously. NBC may not have much HD, but our station has easily the best upconverted digital signal in Cleveland. Plus NBC has some shows with great content. I'll try changing the angle tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not sure exactly what you mean vdcone. Last night I was experiencing some dropout on Ally Mcbeal(don't know what channel). signal strength was near 90. I do have a rotor, second largest antenna from ratshack and a booster. I should've tried tweaking the direction, but the other stations were coming in so well I didn't want to mess it up. (plus my wife just hates it when I start fiddling with things during a show). Did you mean that when two stations are 90 apart there is problems?

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.