AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the SF Bay Area, Oakland Hills and am soliciting any of you gurus to recommend an antenna to buy. Stupidly I bought a Terk TV-50 6 months ago (thought it looked cool). It works ok but I've come to know that a ChannelMaster or Wineguard would be better. I can get 7 or 8 OTA HDTV signals now but I would hope to get better stability and maybe a San Jose station channel 36.

Anyone got a preference? An idea? Any idea where to buy a 4251 or 4248 in the Bay Area?

Thanks...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Down in San Diego, I'm using the Radioshack VU190XR mounted on a 19 ft mast. The LA stations are about 100 miles away and I can get them all in fairly consistently (FOX 65 is the most marginal, and drops out sometimes) and all San Diego stations with a second small antenna.

I'd experiment with moving and potentially raising the antenna first. If your problem is distance, that's a good start. How far are you from the stations, are they generally in the same direction, and is multipath interference a concern?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info on your Radio Shack antenna, I might give it a try. My problem is not great in either the distance or spectrum. I just need to get a good antenna and I think my reception will be much better. The farthest signal I'm trying to reach is 32 miles away.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wilde:
Down in San Diego, I'm using the Radioshack VU190XR mounted on a 19 ft mast. The LA stations are about 100 miles away and I can get them all in fairly consistently (FOX 65 is the most marginal, and drops out sometimes) and all San Diego stations with a second small antenna.
wilde, where in San Diego are you and are you getting KNSD (NBC)? I have a ChannelMaster 3021 on a rotator in my attic and I can get all of the San Diego stations except KNSD and all of the LA stations. KNBC and KCET are the only LA stations I care about, since everything else is available locally.

------------------

Tom

[This message has been edited by TomF (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I have the VU190XR too. Its a pretty good antenna but Im (after taking the advice from many people here) going to get a rotor for it. My antenna will turn 2 years old soon. I got it Colombus day weekend of '99. I got mine when it was half off. The antenna is $100 w/o the special. If your going to get it watch for this special. I have a 5'($7) mast and $20 tripod. Good luck!!!

Steve

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just bought the VU160XR, I think, it is the model below the 190. Anyway it was $49 and works great. The sale on the 190 just ended on Saturday, it was $50, normally $100. I am not that far away though. By the way this antenna is huge, you should see this thing in the attic, a scary site. I can only imagine what the 190 would look like up there. I had tried the fancy antennas from Terk (Terk 55, etc.) with no success.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
If it wasnt for the half off special I would have gotten the 210. The 210 is only about $25-30 more and its the best one. RS Antennas Strangly the 190 isnt listed.

Steve

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. Since I missed the Radio Shack sale I've decided to go with the Channel Master 4248. According to various threads on this and other forums it is among the best antennas available. Even better is the fact that it costs $34.95 pkus shipping from Consumer Direct.com. Of course once you add the pre-amp it is $100+.

One last question: Anyone combining multiple antennas trying to get more coverage, more signal? I'd like to know how your doing it and what your results are.

thanks..

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WebMarin -

I may very well be interested. I have a question or two though. What has your experience been witht this antenna? What channels did you get with it in the Bay Area? Did you use it for HD and analog? Let me know. Also you can email me at [email protected] directly.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
It is hard to believe you would need a preamp in the Oakland Hills. I am in Sunnyvale with a Radio Shack long boom Yagi mounted on a 2 story house and have absolutely no signal strength problems pulling in all of the San Francisco Stations. In your case, to get San Jose you would need a Rotor but I wouldn't recommend a preamp until you had tried the setup without it as you are liable to get a worse signal than without the preamp.

..Doyle

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Doyle. I guess my thinking, "The more signal the merrier" is errant. I would like not to have to use a rotor but if I have to I will. Hopefully I can point west to southwest and get everything. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi

I am also interested in buying the channelmaster 4248 antenna plus pream for pulling in Philly stations from NY (75 mile distance).

I just went to www.consumerdirect.com but it did not list any antennas that I could find. Is that the correct web site.

Thanks

------------------

Eram

·
Registered
250 Posts
ensyed,

Actually, it's www.consumer-direct.com

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also have the VU190 from Radio Shack, mounted on a 10ft mast on the roof. Multipath distortion seems to be a big problem here in the Oakland Hills, but I can pick up all of the DTV channels from Sutro. Unfortunately for me, I'm on the north side of a slope, so I haven't tried to get any SJ stations.

Note that DTV 19, 56, and 57 tend to start "breaking up" on me later at night, 57 more frequently than the others. Can anyone explain to me why this might happen? Weather, temperature? Should I try for a taller mast, or is this a known issue with 57?

Thanks!

-Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.