AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a rooftop antenna installed by professional tomorrow (I hope)- the feed will be to Spaun/diplexers to HD-100 DSS's. I think it is a bay antenna-brand tbd-no rotor

30 miles direct to NYC. What HDTV channels can I look for? Is it possible that some regular OTA will look better than DSS?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Its not POSSIBLE that digital OTA will look better than DirecTV, its GUARANTEED. DirecTV compresses the locals (here at least) to within an inch of their lives and they consistently look like crap. When I tuned them in OTA for the first time, even the SD stuff felt like HD by comparison.

God knows why I don't call DTV and cancel the local "feed".

·
Super Moderator
21,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used a local company SkyWeb in Tinton Falls, NJ 732 219 7776. I had a Channel Master 4221 Bay antenna and Winegard Amp (no rotor) installed- fed thru Spaun via diplexers to HD-100's. Cannot get Ch 2 CBS- they have to come back to add an element/combiner. All the other HD channels have 95+ signal levels. Also had third LNB installed on oval dish- they say programming will begin soon. My bill complete is around $900.00. I got a UHF (only) antenna- if you want regular OTA channels, you will need VHF/UHF antenna which is much bigger- I wanted a small antenna to keep wife happy.

·
Super Moderator
21,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Helevitia

looking at this site I miss my C/Ku Band dish which I removed in favor of the 18" dish years ago-the small dish picture looked great to me 5 years ago- not as good now. If I still had the big dish with all this new HDTV gear.. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by markrubin (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
196 Posts
To Mark Rubin:

You should put an antenna rotor up with your CM 3021/4221. You may very well be able to pick up KYW-26 out of Philadelphia (another CBS affiliate). They are running about 750 kW ERP and get out very well.

WCBS-56 on the Empire State Building has been problematic in several areas for some time. It could be due to a new building nearby, or other structure that is causing multipath.

CBS will provide you with most of your OTA HDTV programs, including a lot of sports in HD. So they are worth a little extra effort to receive.

The CM 4221 and preamp should do the trick right now - how does WNYW-44 come in? They are on the same mast on the ESB as WCBS, although higher up.

KC

·
Super Moderator
21,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guessed it was multipath: installer could get excellent WCBS signal off the back of the bay- at the expense of the other channels-it was a tough decision with the Tennis, but I opted for the other channels for now- I am trying to keep low profile on roof- hence no rotor or high gain yagi.

I receive: 4.1 NBC, 7.1 ABC, 11.1, WPIX, 13.1 WNET, 25.1 WNYE, 38.1 UPN- all lock up and picture is excellent

Installer is to return to add extra element/combiner for WCBS

[This message has been edited by markrubin (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
21,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
addl signals, below threshold, on 25.2 and 25.3(sound only) and 25.4, 25.5, 25.6, and 44.1

·
Registered
734 Posts
I mounted the CM 3021 antenna on CM 9521 rotator in my attic. I had contacted a professional installer about mounting it on my chimney and decided to try this myself and see if I was successful.

Previously, with just the Radio Shack double bowtie antenna on top of my TV, I was able to get all of the available San Diego SD/HD digital stations except for NBC, which currently broadcasts at a very low power. Our local PBS station is not due to go on-air in HD until October. My goal was to be able to pull in at least the NBC and PBS stations from LA.

With the CM 3021 and the rotator pointed at LA, I can now get all of the larger LA digital stations, including NBC and PBS.

Pics of my antenna installation . The second set of pictures are higher definition, so clicking on those pictures twice will get you much more detail if you want.

(Note: According to e-mail that I received from ChannelMaster, the 4221 antenna is just a model designation for distributors for a box with two 3021 antennas in it.]

------------------

Tom

[This message has been edited by TomF (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Wow, $900 bucks to mount one antenna. Of all the antennas I have installed for testing, that would have cost me about $90,000. Instead, I borrowed an entension ladder and did it for nothing in about 45 min. on the first install.

------------------

-Glenn

·
Super Moderator
21,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The materials (antenna,amp, mount, 4 diplexers, and Sat LNB) account for most of it: labor was $350.00- much less than medical bill if I attempted to climb the 35 feet- I used to install my ham radio antennas all the time- now I much prefer to delegate this risky task!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Will an existing ota antenna receive high defintion signals or will it have to be replaced?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Mark,

Thanks for the response and information.I called Sky twice ,but never heard from them.Found an installer from Morris County for $100.Quite a difference from 400+.

·
Super Moderator
21,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope the installation goes well for you. Take care to be sure to have installer properly ground the antenna. Will be anxious to hear how you make out.

--------

Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.