AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I'm new to OTA and have scanned these threads deeply, so I have a few questions:

New STB that outputs NATIVE

I need a box (current generation/new and not discontinued) that has a selectable resolution option called NATIVE. I don't want the box to do any "forced conversion" to 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i upon output - I just want the box to send out the signal as it receives it through HDMI and I'll do the video processing externally with a DVDO DUO processor to 1080p since the ones in the boxes/tvs are mediocre with cadence detection, video/film handling, etc. The Pace cable boxes and Shaw satellite boxes have this native option (ExpressVu does not). As we know, some channels are 1080i, 720p, 480p... I don't want these resolutions changed at the HDMI output before entering the DVDO or else the DVDO can't do the work it's supposed to do.

Assigning Azimuth Co-ordinates to Channels

Thinking like the old C-Band satellites systems, do any set-top boxes have azimuth control in them that when connected to a rotor, can turn the antenna to the direction of the channel selected on the STB? I've done my TV Fool locator, received the azimuth of the channels - so after correct antenna setup, could I assign/manually store azimuth information into the set-top box so when the channel is selected, the antenna turns to the correct location?

The system I have in this house just has a separate rotor dial that I just turn until the station that I've selected on the channel comes in clear (broken now).

Thanks!

·
Registered
948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw /forum/post/0

Assigning Azimuth Co-ordinates to Channels

Thinking like the old C-Band satellites systems, do any set-top boxes have azimuth control in them that when connected to a rotor, can turn the antenna to the direction of the channel selected on the STB? I've done my TV Fool locator, received the azimuth of the channels - so after correct antenna setup, could I assign/manually store azimuth information into the set-top box so when the channel is selected, the antenna turns to the correct location?

The system I have in this house just has a separate rotor dial that I just turn until the station that I've selected on the channel comes in clear (broken now).

Thanks!

Boy that would be nice. It would also be nice if a STB had multiple antenna inputs, and you could tell it which one to use. Alas, neither of these simple ideas has ever been excecuted.

There might be a way to jerry-rig a STB with the smart antenna feature to an IR blaster, but you would need somehing in between to do the processing.

There are also high-end remote controls that can be programmed to send multiple command strings, so it could tell the tv to change channels and then tell the rotor to move the antenna.

There are rotor controllers that have azimuth presets and remote control. You can make a cheat sheet so you remember which rotor position each channel is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts