AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hughes E86 DirecTV HD receiver, cable, and an antenna for the HD channels. All the channels are in the guide and everything is fine, with one exception, and I am trying to find out who's issue it is.

I get five local HD channels. All of them can be tuned via their DTV channels, OR via the analog number, both with a "-1" appended to the channel. For example, local analog channel 3 is digital channel 45. I can tune the DTV station with 3-1 or with 45-1.

The odd exception is the local Fox affiliate, which is analog channel 24, digital channel 26. 26-1 works, but 24-1 doesn't. 18-1 gives me their digital broadcast. Channel 18 is Fox' Salina (a town about 90 miles away) affiliate.

DirecTV says they don't provide guide info for my local programming. Cable isn't carrying the digital channels yet. So this channel mis-mapping has got to be something in the digital broadcast itself, right?

David

·
Registered
729 Posts
The remapping information is sent out in the data stream by the local station. It's called PSIP, although I'm not exactly sure what the acronym is or the technical details.

Your Fox station just hasn't added the remapping information to their data stream. So, for now, you will have to enter 26-1 until they add the information to their signal. You might want to call the station and ask for an engineer, and inquire when they might get that working.

DirecTV has programming information in the guide for Chicago -- perhaps that's only the case for cities for which they also carry local stations. Do they carry Wichita local standard definition feeds?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
No they don't Dan, and I am assuming they made a mistake and are sending the PSIP out for they Salina tower instead of the one in Wichita. They broadcast the same thing, but they have a full power station instead of a translator.

tim

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
This is just a guess, but it is possible that they use the Salina encoded transport stream for both transmitters. If they had no way of re-inserting the local PSIP values, you would be remapped to the Salina virtual channel. The other possibility is that they just set up their encoder incorrectly. In either case, the problem is on their end.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by haysdb
DirecTV says they don't provide guide info for my local programming. Cable isn't carrying the digital channels yet. So this channel mis-mapping has got to be something in the digital broadcast itself, right?
See the new posts at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...10#post1612010 to see how to determine whether this is a PSIP problem or a Hughes database problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.