AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hughes E86 DirecTV HD receiver, cable, and an antenna for the HD channels. All the channels are in the guide and everything is fine, with one exception, and I am trying to find out who's issue it is.

I get five local HD channels. All of them can be tuned via their DTV channels, OR via the analog number, both with a "-1" appended to the channel. For example, local analog channel 3 is digital channel 45. I can tune the DTV station with 3-1 or with 45-1.

The odd exception is the local Fox affiliate, which is analog channel 24, digital channel 26. Neither 24-1 nor 26-1 work. 18-1 gives me their digital broadcast. Channel 18 is Fox' Salina (a town about 90 miles away) affiliate.

DirecTV says they don't provide guide info for my local programming. Cable isn't carrying the digital channels yet. So this channel mis-mapping has got to be something in the digital broadcast itself, right?

David

·
Registered
532 Posts
This definitely sounds like a DirecTV Advanced Program Guide issue to me. I have never used the Hughes or its clones, is there an option to turn off the APG?

Another way to isolate the problem is to reset the receiver with no satellite connection and then re-do a local channel scan.

·
Super Moderator
18,437 Posts
David..

I would post this in the Local area and see what other area users have to say. Sounds like KSAS programmed in the wrong PSIP information for remapping. I can just see the CD calling the guy in Salina and saying "How do I set this thing?" then copying the setup information but forgetting to change the PSIP information.

Then, again, if you have a high enough antenna pointed the wrong way, you could be getting Salina. It's Kansas. Not much to get in the way of a signal. Is the local programming Wichita?

I dug into the FCC database to see if KSAS had switched channels with anyone (seen a few cases of that around here, lately) but didn't see anything.

Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
A likely possibility besides PSIP is that the Hughes database is wrong. Hughes built receivers started getting most of their channel mapping info from a database created 2 software versions ago that has been wrong before and still is in some areas. In Chicago, non Hughes boxes are presently remapping digital channel 19-1 to 9-1 and 75-1. That is exactly the info WGN's PSIP generator is putting out. The Hughes built sets are still showing 9-1 and 9-2 from when WGN was multicasting from 19-1 and 19-2(now off the air) at the time the database was written.

Check what people in your area are seeing on non Hughes boxes. If it is the same as you, it's the PSIP generator and the station needs to fix it. If different, it's the Hughes database and Hughes needs to fix it.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where does the Hughes get this information? New channels have shown up since I bought the box, so it's not "hard-coded" in the receiver. DirecTV insists THEY aren't sending it. It's GOT to be in the PSIP doesn't it?

I will pose the question on the Wichita thread.

David

·
Super Moderator
18,437 Posts
Pat..

Thanks for the Hughes box information. I didn't know that. And I'm constantly working with my boss' Hughes. Fortunately, its database for Cincinnati seems to be fine.

David..

If a channel "just shows up," odds are, DirecTV updated your APG information. It doesn't necessarily mean that the box detected the signal. It also doens't mean that the DirecTV computers have the information correct. I have a Zenith and I have both Cincinnati and Dayton zip codes plugged in. The APG has entries for Dayton DT channels I have never picked up.

On the other hand, if you reboot or rescan your channels, the box may pick up channels that DirecTV hasn't added to the APG. Example: In Cincinnati, the CBS DT affiliate is on 31. But DirecTV has that in their database as 12-1. Tune to 12-1 and you get "no signal" but you do get a channel banner and program guide information. Flip to 31-1 and you get CBS, but no program guide info. (As of last week, the CBS affiliate put the PSIP back into the stream, so now 12-1 is all back together, again)

If you can see your Fox affiliate's DT at all, no matter what routine you have to go through, consider yourself lucky. We are the "early adopters." We get to see the bugs get worked out as we go. It's very similar to what went on with FM Stereo in the late 60s and early 70s.

Doc

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
On my Directv/Mit STB, the numbers for digital stations will vary. Some will be given as numbers over 13..such as 22 or 45 or 62. Others will be given as the analog stations such as 2, 4, 12..etc..with -1 added..2-1, 4-1, 12-1.

This seems to make it easier to remember for most people.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The database holds sway for the channels in it. Newer channels are added by scanning or keying in the actual channel number until Hughes updates the database. My STB is constantly losing my PBS multicast channel, 11-2, because it's not in the database. Rather than taking the time to do rescans if non database channels are lost, I'll just key in the actual channel. In the PBS case, I'll key in 47-2 and it will remap to 11-2 and remember it for a while. It seems a drudge, but the guide is so much faster using the database I consider it worth it. Surely the database will be updated as time goes by and digital TV gets a bigger share. It's been updated some without a software version change so it doesn't seem to be a big deal. The issue is to contact somebody at Hughes who knows about the database to give them the info about needed changes.

If you want to see which channels are in the database, clear the local channels, go to dish setup, remove your zipcode and reinsert it. Go back to the local channels and the ones there are from the database. Doing a scan will add the PSIP generated channels. Then you'll need to check the database channels you want to see because clearing the database adds the channels but doesn't check them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.