AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to have the OTA channels and the DirecTV channels in the same menu guide with the DTC-100? Thanks

-Troy

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason I asked is because I've seen other receivers with all the channels in one guide (both OTA and DirecTV) I can't believe no one has asked about this before. It would make "channel surfing" so much easier.

-Troy

·
Registered
46 Posts
One reason that the 2nd generation STBs took so long to come out is the Advanced Program Guide (APG). It is the APG that integrates the DirecTV and OTA channels. (The conspiracy theory reason is that RCA and DirecTV had a side deal that would not allow the 2nd generation STBs to come out until a certain number of DTC-100s were sold).

In any case, you cannot integrate the DirecTV and OTA channel guide in the DTC-100.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder how hard it would be for RCA to add this via a firmware update? anyone?

-Troy

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I was told by a supposedly VERY reliable source inside RCA about a year ago that this was not possible. 'Course this same source (and believe me he SHOULD know) told me that the retrace timing could not be addressed in software via a firmware upgrade either so take it with a grain of salt.

My personal belief is that the DTC has about "run it's cycle" and unless RCA intends on "never" replacing this model with a newly redesigned one; continuing to add features to the DTC-100 sorta defeats incentive to buy the replacement STB. I think primarily for THIS reason despite the technical arguments of whether it CAN be done or not; you'll probably never see an APG in the DTC-100 as we know it today.

------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.