AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello I'm using a dish network 6000 to receive hdtv ota signals getting 80 + signal strength having extreme dropping out like every 15 seconds sometimes and excellent other times like once every 10 minutes. Was wondering if combining the antenna with the satellite cable can or does cause signal of ota to be disturbed ? where can I purchase a signal amplifier for antenna also? Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
908 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Drop outs can be caused by a number of reasons, but your satellite signal is mostly not the cause. A amp probably won't help unless you have a lot of loss in the coax or have a run over 100'.

You did not state your location or how far away the signals you are having trouble with.

·
Registered
957 Posts
another thing that happens is multipathing caused when trees leaf out in the spring. Do a search on it and you will find some good info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello I'm approximately 60 miles from LA have no tree problem at all, was much better last week. Extremely bad last 3 days or so can't watch NBA games which really is not good not even to mention the fact it's not shown in 16:9 aspect ratio and must be stretched i.e. distorted for wide screen viewing. Do any direct TV hdtv receivers have a screen mode like my Toshiba 56h80 has theater wide which can enlarge a 4:3 image into a 16:9 without the stretched distortion caused by the 6000. why isn't more programming broadcast in 16:9 aspect?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
How far are you from Mt. Wilson? If you are more than 60 miles, the weather is going to dictate what you can get. On good days I can get San Diego from 130 miles, but other days I get nothing. A antenna(s) with a lot of gain can help increase signal. See this page for more info on tropo ducting: http://www.iprimus.ca/~hepburnw/tropo_wam.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.