AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live at the southwest corner of Central Park in an apartment that faces north and west. I have tried in vain to get a stable OTA DTV signal and am looking for help, suggestions, pointers......

To this point, I have used only the Samsung T351 tuner. With that I have tried the Zenith Silver Sensor (unamplified and amplified with the Radio Shack 15-1109, which didn't seem to make a difference) as well as the Radio Shack 15-1870 antenna, which didn't provide any signals at any time. With the Silver Sensor I was able to get FOX sporadically and ABC somewhat more often (although ABC showed up--even in what the tuner said was HD mode--in 4:3). I was not able to get a signal for any other channel regardless of where I pointed the antenna. Am I simply screwed because I face north and can't get a line to the Empire State Building or the Conde Naste building? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. TIA.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ah, yes, the city life; subways, internet cafes, dog excrement, and lousy OTA! LOL! Without knowing what kind of building you are in, or how tall it is, and even whether you can get an antenna outdoors, I can only make a couple of general recommendations: Try to find a Channel Master 4221 4 bay UHF antenna, and mount it behind your equipment cabinet. It has much more gain than a Silver sensor, and is not quite so directional. If you choose to play with the antenna, you might try several locations around the room, and even the window, though it isn't facing either the ESB or the Conde Nast building. Of course, an outdoor antenna is best, but we don't know what your circumstances are. If you are south of 79th street, Time Warner Cable offers WABC, WCBS, WNBC, WNET and Discovery on HD digital cable, and that may be the best way to go for you!

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The Zenith HDV420 and LG 3100 have been rated somewhat higher in difficult reception areas than the Sammy, so that might be worth a try. I think J and R has them, or circuit city.

The biggest failing of OTA DTV is dealing with high multipath environments, such as NYC, but hopefully new receiver technology should help mitigate those problems.

Getting the antenna near a window is often best, if possible as well. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.