AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello All, Please direct me to the correct forum, if not here.

So to begin, I only watch TV OTA. My vife has me record some of her favourite shows on our DVDR/VCR combo. We live on the outer edge of OTA reception and sometimes the reception is 'Sketchy'. I am using the MonoPrice HDTV Indoor/Outdoor antenna , in our attic. I can move it outside, but am thinking about upgrading to a full sized antenna, on a pole, or whatnot. I hope that when I upgrade the antenna, reception will improve, which brings me to my inquiry.

I want to get an OTA DVR that can also house (via HDD) my music and, someday, movies.

I currently, have an older Mac G4, with 512mbs of Music (not HiRez).

My vife has a new Dell Laptop with a 1TB HD.

I use Apple TV II (Not Jailbroken) via S/PDIF to my AVR (Pre HDMI), streaming from the Mac (via WiFI), for music.

Is there a device that can be used as the 'Front End' of a HDD that also houses my Music and that I'll be able to encode my movies with, that then can stream to both a Mac and a PC?

I am hoping for something like the Channel Master, for less.

Ideally...OTA DVR to HDD (via USB), have the HDD be a 'cloud' that can stream to both a Mac and Dell, that also can house my music and eventually include my DVD collection.  Meanwhile the OTA DVR will be the ‘Player’ from my HT setup.

I think that the only way to get content to both a PC and a Mac is to Partition the HDD and therefore duplicate content. However, I am not sure on that front.

I have seen dual band OTA boxes, with USB inputs, but most can't be used to save data to a HDD, a la DVR functionality.

If I got something like the Channel Master OTA DVR, have it hooked up to a HDD, would it only be able to read info it put onto the HDD? In other words, could it read other info, like music & movies, that it did not directly have a hand in encoding?

I know this is a bit long, and somewhat of a ramble, but I am hoping someone can send me in the right direction to make this a simple and hopefully as cheap as possible.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Streaming greatly limits your options and raises your price point. Building an HTPC is probably the only solution that would satisfy you if you want a whole-home media streaming solution for both recorded shows and your existing music.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts

Visit Simple.TV as it will do most of what you are seeking... such as DVR streaming to PC and Macs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts