AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... I have a Winegard roof-top antenna which runs into the 8VSB and Dish 6000 receiver. I pick up the one local digital station just fine, but of course when you crave HDTV, 1 station is just not enough! And it is the NBC affiliate at that, so all I get is Leno! I learned on the HDTV programming section of this forum that others in the Austin area were picking up Waco's CBS affiliate station which is broadcasting in HD. The transmitter is actually in Temple, TX, approx 55 miles north of me. After learning this, I hopped up on the roof, turned the antenna around, and I was instantly watching a new channel in HD! It was a happy day!

Alas after around 1 hour of viewing the channel started cutting out... I was only getting 55-60% signal max, and it often drops to 0. Now I can't even lock in on the station. The sat guys came and switched my antenna with the amplified Winegard Sensar II GS-2000.... I really thought that this would help, but all it did was over-amplify the local stations which caused ghosting. I had them put back the old antenna.

So now I am wondering if there is any antenna out there, or some sort of preamplifier, that might help me pick up this station from approx 55 miles out. I still have hope because the antenna that I have now does pick up the signal fainlty, and it is an absolute piece of junk. The sat people call it a "Winegard 7055", but when I look at the Winegard Web site, there is no such product. The closest product name is the PR-7052 which is certainly not my antenna... the 7052 has many elements, while mine only has 2 large ones on the back (or 4 medium ones, 2 on each side).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Lolrd British

·
Registered
14 Posts
Definitly need more elements. The RS $50 UHF model has 15 director elements in front of the active element and 16 reflector elements in back. It worked for me 10 feet off the roof at a distance of 65 miles when I was on top of the hill. Now I'm down in the glade and must upgrade to the CM 4251 parabolic reflector at 20 feet off the roof.
http://www.channelmaster.com/pages/u1.htm

------------------

Jim

·
Registered
197 Posts
Lord British-

Where in Austin are you? I live on the North side of Lake Travis (Lago Vista) and will be upgrading to a Dish 6000 w/OTA soon. I'm on a relatively high point on a hill, so I'n hoping my Radio Shack antenna (100mile VHF/UHF model) might work for the HDTV tuner. It would be great if I can get Waco CBS in digital also.

What type of TV is the Dish connected to? What output do you scale the normal Sat channels to, 720p or 1080i? How do you like the Dish? I just ordered an NEC LT150 projector so I'm curious about the scaling abilities of the Dish for normal programming.

Thanks!

-Dave

·
Registered
156 Posts
Lord British, did you get the PM I sent you with the reply from the KWTX engineer? If not, he said they are having some RF trouble with the tower and they had to dispatch the engineers out to check it out. The digital channel is off the air right now and will not be back up for a week. This was from Monday. I haven't checked to see if it is back up as I have been out of town but will do so tonight. If you are getting 0% signal strength I would assume the station is still off air. Hang tight for a few more days and then start looking at options for antennas. When ch.53 was on air I was getting close to 90%, so you should be able to get it since you are only a few miles south of me. I agree with Engine-Ear on the rotor. I put one on my antenna and it really helps. When my antenna is pointed N to pull in Waco almost all of the Austin analog locals are unwatchable because of ghosting, etc. So when I want to watch something from there, it's just a little turn of a dial to point south and all the stations clear right up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.