AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've also posted this in the AVS Plasma section but have had no responses. I hope someone here can help.

I am a D* subscriber who is planning to buy a 42 inch plasma that will not have a built in tuner. I think I read somewhere on the AVS forum that HD satellite receivers are available with built in tuners to receive the OTA signals. I’ve also read that the D* H10 receiver has some undesireable issues. What options do I have to receive OTA HD signals? Thanks

·
Registered
22,253 Posts
Upgrade your D* receiver to HD. All D* HD receivers have digital OTA tuners.

If you are reluctant to get an H10... there are other receivers available.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
dude, get the hr10-250 from dtv. it is a great hd dvr with two sat tuners and two ota digital tuners. (no regular ntsc tuner). you can get it now for $299 plus $50 for an ota antennea installed! AND you get a $100 mail in rebate. check the hdtv recorder section for more info. the hr10-250 with a sweet 42 " plasma and you will be in HD wonderland.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
If you are reluctant to get an H10... there are other receivers available.

What others are worth a look? I had thought about maybe picking up an used Hughes HD receiver, which is now many several generations old, as I really have been pleased with the executive director Hughes receiver I have in another room (where I will not have an HDTV). I especially like all the features it offers for navigating and selecting channels. I have a (non-HD) tivo receiver in the room where I plan to have HDTV so I am thinking that the HD tivo receiver is another option but would it have the same issues as the I've heard about the H10? Tivo is nice but doesn't offer the same useful navigation features I've come to appreciate about the Hughes.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
The LG 3200A, Sony HD-300, Hughes HTL-HD clones (all three are made by LG and are mechnically the same) and the Samsung TS-360 are worth checking out if you want an older receiver. The older Hughes such as the E86 aren't recommended as much, they were notorious for having heat related problems so you don't know what kind of shape one would be like if you bought it used.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73
The LG 3200A, Sony HD-300, Hughes HTL-HD clones (all three are made by LG and are mechnically the same) and the Samsung TS-360 are worth checking out if you want an older receiver.
Actually, I'd prefer to have a new receiver provided it is a good performer with a reliable track record. I liked the Hughes product essentially because of how the menus and screen are set up. Everything is so easy to get to quickly using Turbo-tune, unlike the Tivo where you have to surf the channel guide if you don't know the channel number.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_in_PA
Actually, I'd prefer to have a new receiver provided it is a good performer with a reliable track record. I liked the Hughes product essentially because of how the menus and screen are set up. Everything is so easy to get to quickly using Turbo-tune, unlike the Tivo where you have to surf the channel guide if you don't know the channel number.
Well your choices are the H10 or the HR10-250 Tivo model then. Your not going to find a Hughes with the features your use to, they haven't made an HD model with them for a few generations now unfortunately. I agree with you on the Hughes functionality though, I have a few SD boxes and they work nice.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1
dude, get the hr10-250 from dtv. it is a great hd dvr with two sat tuners and two ota digital tuners. (no regular ntsc tuner). you can get it now for $299 plus $50 for an ota antennea installed! AND you get a $100 mail in rebate. check the hdtv recorder section for more info. the hr10-250 with a sweet 42 " plasma and you will be in HD wonderland.
Dssturbo1,

Where did you see this? I could not find the HR10-250 HD DVR offered at $299 for current subscribers on the D* web site. The $299 price listed there looks like it is for HD service w/o a DVR and no rebate. The HR10-250 appears to be $599 after the $100 rebate. D* offers much better terms for new subscribers, but they do not include an HD DVR.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
In addition to any offering from your service provider, you could get the USDTV box from WalMart for $200.

I have the USDTV connected to the component inputs on my 42" Panasonic plasma (with a MyHD equipted HTPC hooked to the VGA input) it offers great picture quality and performance.

-Suntan

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Quote:
To sum that huge thread, just call Customer Retention at 800-600-8977 (among other #s). Probably the best deal is $199 (after rebate) for the hr10-250 right now. If you're not into Tivo, maybe you can get the H-10 for cheap also, but the $100 rebate may not apply. Both integrate HD OTA into the DirecTV menu/guides.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73
Well your choices are the H10 or the HR10-250 Tivo model then. Your not going to find a Hughes with the features your use to, they haven't made an HD model with them for a few generations now unfortunately. I agree with you on the Hughes functionality though, I have a few SD boxes and they work nice.

Matt -

I'm in the same position as Peter in Pa and I have the Hughes E2 system. I'm not really interested in the 10-250 because I just bought a Pioneer dvdr. So, if I want to upgrade to HD the H10 is my only choice?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.