Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Topic: OTA HDTV - how can I check before installing yogi?
Well, since you’re concerned about a “Yogi†at your house, I guess I’d just counsel you…

About evaluating your reception: “You can observe a lot just by watching.â€

What to say when watching the PBS or DTV demo loop for the 100th time: “This is like déjÃ* vu all over again.â€

Keep in mind after you visit antennaweb.org that antenna pointing is “… 90% mental, the other half is physical.â€

Philosophical thought on technology and early adopters: “I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early.â€

And finally, if you can’t decide what to do, “When you come to a fork in the road, take it!†(Note: different advice applies to the Slausen Cutoff)

With the exception of Johnny Carson’s dubious advice about what to do at the Slausen Cutoff, all these quotes of course come from the great “Yagi†Berra.

------------------

R. Aster, scanning the forums

·
Registered
801 Posts
A quick drive around town looking at the height and size of several antennas around town is sometimes a good indication. Though most people have gone on cable, there usually are a few left standing.

Bob

·
Registered
386 Posts
It looks that there no reason to believe that I will have any reception

after talking with local installer a minute ago. I actually was shoked that in those boonies somebody knew word HDTV. They knew, and outside of New Haven I probably will have bubkus.

Well, if ABC will not be back with MNF in HDTV, hell with them!

I still have have HBO and the great 199 channel aka 'The Torture'.

Thank everybody for help, especially R. Aster. I will cherish your reply forever http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

·
Registered
476 Posts
Kuzia -

You shouldn't give up so easily.

I live in an area where there are virtually no TV antennas on houses, because, as a couple of installers told me, "You're in an area where you can't get good reception, so people don't even bother."

Well, I bothered. You'd be surprised what a good UHF only antenna (like an 8 bay bow tie) up 50 feet with a low noise preamp can do.

I get over half the available HDTV stations - half a loaf is better than no loaf. As the stations raise their transmitting power and increase antenna height, I should do even better.

Les

·
Registered
476 Posts
Kuzia -

You shouldn't give up so easily.

I live in an area where there are virtually no TV antennas on houses, because, as a couple of installers told me, "You're in an area where you can't get good reception, so people don't even bother."

Well, I bothered. You'd be surprised what a good UHF only antenna (like an 8 bay bow tie) up 50 feet with a low noise preamp can do.

I get over half the available HDTV stations - half a loaf is better than no loaf. As the stations raise their transmitting power and increase antenna height, I should do even better.

Les

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well, I am trying to convince my spouse that we need to put huge antenna on our house in order to get HDTV OTA. I believe Israeli-Palestinian talks are much simplier task then this one, but I am having progress nevertheless (problem is estetics, not hte money).

What would be a real disaster if I finally put this antenna up and stil have no signal. Under no circumstances I would want to see my wife reaction in a case of such fiasco.

Is any way to identify will I have any signal? Using SilverSensor was not successful at all, but my HT is in basement, so it is understandable. Plus my town is very 'hilly'.

I am prrox 60 miles from New York City

·
Registered
109 Posts
You can check out http://www.antennaweb.org/antennaweb/ and see what they reccomend for your location (pick "choose an antenna"). Ask your neighbors, if you see an antenna on their roof, what channels they get. Try a Radio Shack antenna first with the up front agreement that you can return it. Look for local antenna installers in your area phone book ... ask them about reception problems.

Impala Bob

4248 UHF CM & 3614 VHF CM antennas

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kuzia:
Well, I am trying to convince my spouse that we need to put huge antenna on our house in order to get HDTV OTA. I believe Israeli-Palestinian talks are much simplier task then this one, but I am having progress nevertheless (problem is estetics, not hte money).
This is known as the WAF . . . Wife Acceptance Factor. Parameters that can adjust the WAF are:

-promising that it will deliver programming that she wants

-minimizing the antenna visibility from the street.

Quote:
Originally posted by kuzia:
Plus my town is very 'hilly'.

I am aprrox 60 miles from New York City
It sounds like you will have an uphill battle. That is fringe UHF reception. You will probably need a big UHF antenna and a preamp. Start with these sites to see what they suggest.
http://www.antennaweb.org/
http://www.titantv.com/

The WAF factor would probably preclude the usage of the CM4521 7' para-scope . . . if you were even able to find one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Try setting up the antenna in your attic (if possible) first. Temporarily run the wire to your receiver/tv and see what kind of signal you can get. I live about 35-40 miles south of NYC and get all the stations in great with a $20 radio shack yagi in the attic. There was no way I was putting an antenna on my house...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.