AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live near Melrose and Crescent Heights and will be taking the plunge when the HD Tivo comes out. My concern is that my attempts at analog OTA here have been horrible and I've always assumed part of that problem was that the Hollywood hills are between me and Mt. Wilson.

Anyone in this area have any experiences to share? I'd hate to buy the box only to discover I've got problems.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hey

I'm up in Laurel Canyon up off of Lookout Mountain. I got my HD installed today, DirecTV channels are fine (the few they have:mad: ) but couldn't get squat with digital OTA's from UHF roof antenna (don't know what model it was but my installer (who is a friend and not a DirecTV subcontactor lackey) said it was one of the better ones....I have a call into him to confirm the model.

I haven't given up hope yet though, he's going to come out AFTER :mad: the Superbowl and run some sig strenth tests with the antenna at the top of my hillside property. May try some other antennas as well.

At the moment I'm totally bummed out, spending alot of capital and getting NO OTA's...you can only watch so much of that crap on HDnet and Discovery before the novelty wears off. Today they had a high school basketball game on HDnet...how exciting........

I would think you may have better luck in your location because Mt. Wilson is as much east as north, I would think you could pull in some of the stations with a good amplified directional antenna, whereas I'm actually buried in the canyon (funny that I have perfect line of site for the DirecTV and DirecWay birds).

Maybe Adelphia :::::::shudder::::::: will add HD locals soon

Daniel

·
Registered
349 Posts
Update! Even though I trust my installer more than the guys DirecTV send out, I felt like he didn't make enough of an effort with this. So guess what, I just pulled in KNBC digital with a frikkin loop antenna I ran outside my window. Called my guy again and when he comes back out he's going to bring the strongest Weingard amped they have, and we'll see...Hope springs eternal and tonight I watch West Wing in HD (even if it is a repeat...)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Wow, gee thanks Mitch for your thoughtful and insightful reply. I'll be sure to take the time to share more of my experience with you in the future.

Daniel

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Daniel,

You stated in your last post that your installer was coming out and were hopeful it would solve your problem. All I did was post a reply wishing you luck. Since I have no HD gear at my place yet I'm not sure what kind of thoughtbul and insightful reply you were hoping for, but it's always exciting when a newbie comes in here and by his 3rd post is being rude.

·
Registered
349 Posts
If I was wrong, I apologize. It just seems to me that if I were posting a request for information like you did, and someone who lived less than a mile away took the time to reply to that person's specific issue, I might at least reply with a "thanks for the info, keep me posted." or something that showed a little bit of interest, even if towards a "newbie" like myself. I construed your reply as "newbie patronization", and if you assert that that is truly not the case, then I honestly apologize to you. I spent alot of time lurking and exchanging PM's on this forum before jumping in the posting pool. With the vast amount of technical knowledge on this board the prospect of a "first post", especially if not in the form of a question, caa be a bit intimidating, so I was excited to be able to share some of my own feedback on a subject I had first hand experience with.

I was on a bit of an emotional roller coaster yesterday, having spent alot of time and money on this HD setup, thinking I had done all of the right research and then realizing that I had not, and that for all of my efforts and money I wouldn't get my OTA locals.

FWIW, since yesterday my little channel master loop has managed to pull in KNBC, KTTV, KTLA, and KMEX but never more than one at a time. I confirmed that my installer had used a Weingard directional antenna without a preamp. He is coming out to work on it some more so we'll see where things go.

peace, Daniel

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry. I certainly didn't mean it to come across as patronizing and I appreciate the apology. I sure should have at least put a smiley face on it! I'll be sure and check in with you when I start putting my gear in. Keep me posted!

Oh and BTW...welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks Mitch, and thanks for the welcome:) I will keep you posted.

peace, Daniel

·
Registered
210 Posts
Daniel,

If you are getting a signal from a set top antenna, then chances are your installer didn't do something right.

Have you run your address over at www.antennaweb.org? It will give you the direction you need to aim your antenna. It will also suggest what type of antenna will best work in your location...

Also, did your installer diplex in the OTA feed to one of the DBS lines? Or did he run seperate line from the antenna to your STB? Make sure the antenna he used is for UHF signals and not just the VHF range! All the digital OTA signals are in the UHF range.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi and thanks for the reply.

I did try the tool on TitanTV.com, AFTER my installer was here. It actually recommended a Weingard that looked very similar to the one my installer had used. My installer was pressed for time that morning, and was skeptical when he got zip on his meter, so when the receiver showed zero on the scan, he figured that was that. Now that he knows i am getting signal from my little looper, I think he's sufficiently embarrased because he agreed to book an exclusive day to come out and try to get it to work. I will try the tool on Antennaweb as well, so I have more to go on. I really think it's probably a trial and error thing where you have to try different locations/directions and run scans to see what works best, especially here in a hilly tree-filled canyon.

I talked with another installer who has done work up here for D* and he said that he can usually get 3 stations (KTTV Fox, KTLA WB, KNBC) with the crap antenna D* provides.

Also, in the meantime, I put in an order for Voom because they have a 500 dollar rebate that applies to me so they will come out for about 250 bucks and put up one of their dishes and an OTA with a 30 day money back guarantee and a 39 buck a month plan with a ton of HD content. So if they can't get the OTA's I'll just get a refund. My neighbors are gonna think i work for NASA or something with all of the dishes on my roof.

Also, if Mitch is still following this thread, Adelphia does offer a small HD package that does have ABC, NBC, and KCET and they will lease the receiver for 9.95 a month with first six months lease charges waived, you have to get basic at 50 per month though.....but free install and not having to buy a receiver is attractive I think (If you can stand all of the dig d/o's)

peace, daniel

·
Registered
349 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot. My installer used a seperate line from the OTA, he said the diplexer could be problematic. He did not amp the signal though...probaby because nothing times nothing leaves nothing

peace, daniel

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by danielhart
Oh yeah, I forgot. My installer used a seperate line from the OTA, he said the diplexer could be problematic. He did not amp the signal though...probaby because nothing times nothing leaves nothing

peace, daniel
I've used the diplex method before and have never had problems... but it is definately easier to rule out problems if the line is just the OTA signal. Also, depending on how long the RG6 run is, you might not need the preamp on the line.

Like you said, it will be trial and error finding the signal where you live. If the little loop antenna is getting something, there is a very good chance your rooftop one will get strongs signals from a majority of the broadcasting channels.

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.