AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am located in southeast Michigan about 25 miles SE of the transmitter complex in Southfield, MI (near Detroit). The house we just moved into has an antennae built into the attic for local channels about 17 years ago.

The attic antennae has roughly a 30" boom with a UHF extension. But, there is not enough room to rotate it from it's present north/orientation. I hooked up our RP Toshiba and was able to receive 2 local analog Detroit channels clearly (4 and 7) which I think are CBS and NBC. Several other channels were fuzzy but legible.

I checked out Titan TV and got a running list of what channels I was receiving and what digital channels I may be able to recieve with the proper equipment.

My question is this:

Based on signal strength of the local analog stations, will digital stations be of comparable strength? In other words, will fuzzy analog stations transmitting a digital signal on another channel be the same? Will I receive them okay based on what the analog channels look like?

Also, according to Titan TV, the digital OTA channels listed are not receivable by my antennae until I get an STB converter for the signal, correct? (I actually plan on doing a HTPC)

I would like to hear from anyone in Southeast MI near Detroit if possible.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Most HDTV stations are broadcast on UHF, that big antenna is mostly for VHF and the UHF section is probably weak. You might be better off with a new UHF only antenna, more gain and smaller size that you could aim better.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Eapiel,

Funny, I'm also 25 miles SE of the towers(Trenton). Anyway, I use the Radio Shack DB indoor antenna and I receive all the local digital stations even though I can't pick up some of the analog stations. With an indoor antenna I do have to move the thing around to get UPN.

Good luck,

Rick

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the prompt responses.

RF22, I am in Grosse Isle right across the river. Glad to hear you can receive the digital signals well. I will probably try out an STB from Circuit City or somewhere to see how it does. My main problem appears to be my unmoveable antennae but at least it is pointed towards Southfield. Are you able to get any of the Toledo or Ann Arbor stations with your setup? How is the reception for the Detroit Stations? Also, just for clarification, once I get an STB and hook it up, I will be able to receive digital broadcasts, correct? From what I understand, digital stations will just be blank if the signal is bad as opposed to fuzzy ala analog, correct?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Eapiel,

Since I am only using an indoor antenna, I am able to pull in the Toledo ABC station but that is it. As for the Detroit stations I usually get a signal strength of 70-80% according to my HiPix cards. Digital broadcast are indeed an all or nothing situation. I find myself dumbfounded sometimes when I realize that I get this awesome picture and sound from an antenna.

Turn on your PM feature. I'd like to send you a message.

Rick

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Just like analog stations, digital stations can look less than perfect. On analog stations we have 'snow' and 'static' when the reception is less than what it should be. On digital stations we have 'dropouts' or 'blocking' when the signal is not up to a certain level for near-perfect reception. If your signal is strong enough, you should not experience these problems and the picture and sound should lock in strongly all the time. You must work on your signal strength until you no longer experience dropouts and blocking. An outdoor highly directional UHF antenna with a rotator and a clean line of sight between antenna head and transmitter is what is needed; anything less than this is..giving up something..but it may work..depending on your distance between your antenna and the transmitters. Depending on a number of factors, I would estimate the distance an indoor antenna works is up to 25 miles..just maybe 30 miles.

This has been my experience anyway. I do use a outdoor antenna by the way...just much better if you can use one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.