AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local TV engineer told me this morning that he thought that over the air HDTV tuners would sell for $200. or less in 2004 and be much better than what is available now. Anyone have any comments?

In my small city of 120k people, all five local stations now broadcast in 1080i HDTV, yet our local Circuit City and other stores do not sell over the air HDTV tuners. Why? Comments?

A local TV salesman said he thought that affordable rear projection sets would not have over the air tuners integrated into the sets because most people will use cable anyway. So why in hell are the stations broadcasting HDTV if no one is watching and there seems to be little interest in supplying the needed tuners to receive the signals?

Question: What is the best affordable OTA HDTV tuner (not SAT tuner) under $400. available now? Panasonic? Samsung?

The engineer also told me that if I could receive their analog signal OK with my indoor antenna, I would receive their digital signal "like it was broadcast next door." Is this true?

Please post comments.

Christopher

·
Registered
131 Posts
A little off subject, but...

A Sears salesman told me last weekend that the reason STBs are not carried in the store and need to be special ordered is because there is little demand -- because most new model sets have the HDTV tuner built-in. This was the second salesman I spoke to. The first one did not know what a STB was.

My set model is about two months old and it does not have a built-in tuner.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by WaltW
"most new model sets have the HDTV tuner built-in"
The salesman who told you that must have been new. Obviously, currently only top pf the line and very expensive sets have a built in tuner, like the 65" and 73" Mitsubishi. I do not know of any sets in the under $3,000. category that have tuners built in. I heard rumors about Panasonic starting to add tuners but have not seen any product advertised. Congress talked about setting a date by which all TVs would have to have tuners, but have not heard anything about that of late.

Christopher

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
There is a time line based on size of the screen, for when new tvs must be capable of receiving a dtv signal, have tuners built-in... The bigger the set the sooner the law makes it have a dtv tuner.. i forget the time line and size details.. it would have been nice if the government would have address some of these transitions issue early instead of focusing solely on broadcaster and affiliates for so long and i think we would be further along. there has been many many millions of dtv set sold that current don't have a dtv source.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Christopher Calder
The salesman who told you that must have been new. Obviously, currently only top pf the line and very expensive sets have a built in tuner, like the 65" and 73" Mitsubishi. I do not know of any sets in the under $3,000. category that have tuners built in. I heard rumors about Panasonic starting to add tuners but have not seen any product advertised. Congress talked about setting a date by which all TVs would have to have tuners, but have not heard anything about that of late.

Christopher
The Hitachi 51S700 sells for $2400 at CC with a HD tuner built in for starters!

The non-tuner model is $400 less.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The problem for the longest time also was that there was no set standard for OTA transmission. So if you bought a TV with a built in tuner, if the standards changed, the tuner would be no good.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info about the new cheaper rear projection sets with built in tuners.

I just spoke with the manufacturer of the Casper chip set which is billed as a solution for all ghosting problems with the USA HDTV standard. He said the Casper chips will be in Thompson tuners in 2005. So, perhaps there are other solutions from other companies that will be arriving in 2004. As stated earlier, a television station engineer told me that in a couple of months tuners will be a whole lot better and cheaper. There must be allot of research in this area and perhaps Panasonic and others are working on their own secret chip solutions to the ghosting-city reception problems.

Christopher

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
There was press release by Philips and Fox earlier this year about similar technology that they were co-developing, but I've heard nothing more since then.

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Just what are the big problems with the 8VSB/QAM tuners now? I see the ghosting issue which I can't see why it is a problem since digital TV can't have ghosts as far as I know.

Multipath cancelation is another issue and since these tuners either don't have or have a very poor signal strength meter/display thast might be more of a issue or a better way of possibly describing the above problem.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_R
The Costco stores here sell the Samsung SIR-T151 new in the box for $219.

Rick R
-------------------------

That price is about $100. less than any price I can find on the Web, probably below dealer cost.

Christopher

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just heard from a local TV dealer that there is a government mandate that all 36" and larger television sets manufactured after July of 2004 must have a built in HDTV terrestrial tuner. If that is true then all of next falls rear projection units will have built in tuners.

Is that true?

Christopher

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.