AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I live about 4 miles north east of you, North of Via Rancho Parkway and West of Felicita Road.

I use a 4248 antenna with a Winegard UHF-only amplifier. The addition of the amplifier, which is roughly equivalent to the 7775 that you are planning to buy, made quite a difference for me, so I think it is worth your effort. Mt. Israel (and/or the mountain that is South West of the Hodges dam) might be a problem for you. Use good quality cable (RG6 or better) and make a direct run from the antenna to your receiver. As you note, you'll need an rotor to pick up the stations broadcasting from Mt. San Miguel (PBS, NBC, WB).

I beleive CBS is broadcasting at reduced power due to the power crisis. ABC comes in well (70+) for me.

There is a lengthy thread on San Diego HDTV in the HDTV Programming Forum, do a search on "San Diego".

Regards,

Kit

·
Registered
437 Posts
thanks for the reply KitC http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I guess my next question to you is if I have problems with the Mountains near Lake Hogdes, you only be 4 miles away from me do you have similar challenges?? If so then it seems that the preamp will allow me to get CBS-HD http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Final question is have you tried picking up any LA stations?? I tried CBS in LA and was getting that at around 20% so maybe there is hope there as well.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If your problem is a weak signal, then a pre-amp may help. If the low signal strength is due to other problems like multipath, a amp might make it worse. The amp is fairly cheap, you will certainly need it for the LA stations. The only way to know is try, every location is different, even house to house.

------------------

-Glenn

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marcello,

Yes, I have similar challenges but I think I'm considerably higher than you, and I have a monster antenna mast. Do you receive the analog signals from Mt Soledad (ABC and CBS)?

You have little to no chance of getting the LA stations. The mountains on the West side of Del Dios highway will block you.

What ATSC receiver are you using?

Kit

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am using the Hughes E86 HD receiver. No hope for LA?? thats a bummer but I'll try anyways http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif it seems that at minimum I'll get ABC, NBC, PBS, FOX, and WB for now and maybe once CBS ups the power again I'll get that as well. To answer your other question I can get CBS and ABC analog with minimal to no ghosting.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I don't believe that KFMB is broadcasting at a lower signal, it's KNSD that you might be thinking about, as they're broadcasting at only 18kW. KFMB is broadcasting at 703kW, the highest of any of the San Diego digital stations. KGTV is broadcasting at 316 kW. This is according to FCC data at www.fcc.gov/mmb/vsd/tvq.html .

KPBS is not broadcasting their digital signal yet and are currently scheduled to go online in October. This has changed many times over the last 1-2 years.

I have a CM 3021 mounted in my attic on the CM rotator and I'm able to pick up all of the larger LA stations, including KNBC and KCET (PBS), which are the only major stations that I can't get in San Diego. I'm in Rancho Penasquitos on a ridge bordering the upper eastern part of Penasquitos Canyon, east of Black Mountain Road.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5 (126 hours)

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

[This message has been edited by TomF (edited 09-20-2001).]

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am curious how much signal strength difference a preamp will make?? I have a CM 4228a and had a local installer put it up on my chimney on a 10ft mast. I live in the San Diego area (Escondido Del Dios neighboorhood). The installer could get ABC around 50% and CBS around 10%. the others NBC, WB, and Fox I already know I can get if I point the antenna in the right direction. The installer told me that was the best he could do and that even with a preamp it wouldn't be much better. My question is if a preamp only slightly boosts the signal whats the true benefit?? I am going to order a CM 7775 preamp anyways and test it but am I holding my breath?? thanks for the help http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TomF:
I don't believe that KFMB is broadcasting at a lower signal, it's KNSD that you might be thinking about, as they're broadcasting at only 18kW. KFMB is broadcasting at 703kW, the highest of any of the San Diego digital stations. KGTV is broadcasting at 316 kW. This is according to FCC data at www.fcc.gov/mmb/vsd/tvq.html .

KPBS is not broadcasting their digital signal yet and are currently scheduled to go online in October. This has changed many times over the last 1-2 years.

That FCC resource only reflects license applications and current authorizations. KFMB reduced their transmitter power very early on by 10 dB under an STA (Special Temporary Authority) to reduce power consumption. Their current ERP is, I believe, 70 kW.

With regard to KPBS, the good news is that our new transmitters, including the channel 30 DTV transmitter, are finally on site and we're about two weeks into their installation. Look for a end of October/first of November start-up for KPBS-DT.

------------------

John Folsom

KPBS Engineering Manager

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.