AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it just happens that the local affiliate that is broadcasting the BIG GAME tomorrow is only going to be in HD OTA. They aren't going to broadcast it on the local cable company, or on any form of satellite. This has made most of the town angry, ect, but isn't what I'm here for.

I don't own an HDTV, but where I will be watching the game tomorrow does. The thing is I don't know if all I need to do is bring my rabbit ears (yes I still have rabbit ears on my tv
) and hook them up to the TV, or if any extra hardware will be needed. Their tv is a somewhat older model (some Mitsubishi DLP), so I don't know if it has the tuners built in or whatever is needed to decode the signal OTA.

So can anyone tell me if this is right?

Best Case: TV has OTA Decoders, I plug rabbit ears in, we turn to channel 20 on TV, and enjoy.

Worst Case: TV has NO OTA Decoders, I need some extra hardware, or it is impossible to watch the game in HD and we are forced to watch the Big Game in SD

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
1) You need to know if your HD set has an HD tuner. It may be called ATSC, 8VSB, DTV (Digital TV). If it doesn't, you can buy an external Digital TV tuner and use it.

2) In both cases you will need an antenna, but rabbit ears may not do the trick. You may need an outdoor antenna, or a UHF antenna, as rabbit ears are VHF. DTV stations are mostly UHF, some are VHF.

The easiest way for you to figure it out, is to find the local topic for your area, in this topic: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=453241

Others in your area can help.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Let's go with best guess first.

Go a couple hours early and hope the host doesn't mind you messing with the TV.

Assuming you are close enough to the antenna farm and can get a decent signal -- attach your Rabbit Ears, in the setup menu turn the TV tuner to OTA, and scan, and see what comes up. If the Station Channel is 20 it may read out 20, 20-1, or some variation. If it Channel 20, but they are broadcasting on UHF 'whatever' it could come up as some other number though probably not. Can you get a clear OTA picture of the analog channels from your house and is the Friends house relatively nearby? If you get the Analog fine OTA then highly likely the Digital channels will come in with the RAbbit Ears (assuming the TV can decode directly). If your rabbit ears have a 300 Ohm type "twin lead" output then you may need to bring a 300 to F connector (typical screw type cable connector) converter with you.

Worst (or Saddest) Case scenario -- watch it in SD since in my experience it's a Super Bowl Party 1st with the emphasis on Party and Super Bowl in secondary (unless you separate the commercials and then the SB becomes 3rd). Most people seem to pay little attention to the game unless they are a major fan of one of the teams or have a bundle riding on the game. Unless you are a member of AVS most other people don't seem to be able to distinguish a good HD picture from a 3rd generation VHS copy of the 1971 SB and seem to be more worried about the 'stupid' Black Bars than why the players seemed to have gained 80lbs since last week or why the game seems to be broadcast with a Fish Eye Lens.

·
Super Moderator
18,378 Posts
Also remember that, if the place where you're watching the game has any other televisions tuned to the game, they'll be slightly ahead of the one tuned to the HDTV broadcast. In my experience, this drives everyone nuts to the point you have to flip the HDTV back to analog so they all match.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts