AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to pick up the 4 major channels out of Richmond VA. I am using a DB8 antenna with fair results. 35.1 comes in at 3 bars usually (Samsung TV)

I can seldom get a picture on 12.1 I can get a picture 8.1 and 6.1 but only at 1 or 2 bars at best. I am running about 70 feet of coax.

Will a preamp solve my problem or do I need to get the antenna way up high?

My location is Dunnsville VA 22454

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
There is a Richmond thread in the local HDTV info forum. If you post there, you will probably get a lot more help.

SMK

·
Registered
442 Posts
It appears that you need to get your antenna up higher. The result "2 edge" on the TVfool chart means that the signal is diffracted over two obstacles to get to your antenna. The results "LOS" on the far right of the chart shows how high you would need to get the antenna to have line-of sight to the transmitters. You have entered a antenna height of just 15 feet which just is not enough in such an application. I realize a 50 foot mast may be too difficult but if you could just get it up to 25 or 30 feet it may help a lot and get you into a "1 edge" situation.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudGut /forum/post/13005975

I am trying to pick up the 4 major channels out of Richmond VA. I am using a DB8 antenna with fair results. 35.1 comes in at 3 bars usually (Samsung TV)

I can seldom get a picture on 12.1 I can get a picture 8.1 and 6.1 but only at 1 or 2 bars at best. I am running about 70 feet of coax.

Will a preamp solve my problem or do I need to get the antenna way up high?

My location is Dunnsville VA 22454

Where is your DB-8 mounted? In the attic or outdoors? If you are in the attic, can you move the antenna around to a different location? Attics can have dead spots for reception. Your tvfool projected signal strength numbers are decent, so you should be getting better results. Just to be sure, is the coax RG-59 or RG-6? Should not make a huge difference for a 70' run, but RG-6 would have less loss.

Extra height should help. But try different locations and tweaking the aim. If that does not help, then you may need a pre-amp.

However, the DB-8 is a not a good choice for your location. WWBT-DT NBC 12 will be switching it's digital channel from UHF 54 to VHF 12 in February 2009. The DB-8 may work, but it does not have the performance for upper VHF that the Channel Master 4228 8 bay has. The DB-8 is effectively a UHF only antenna.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
The above suggestions are good, but you may want to try a pre-amp, such as the Winegard HDP-269. Wit a 70' cable run, you probably won't need a more powerful pre-amp, such as a Channel Master 7777, unless you have more than 1 or 2 splits.

When WWBT moves back to 12, you may want to add a VHF antenna with a diplexer, however. I agree with afiggatt, that the DB8 may not get it done for that channel. How is analog 12 reception on the DB8?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Antenna is mounted on rear deck Temporarily on 6 foot telescopic pole. when I raise it 3 feet higher signal gets worse.

House was built 10 years ago so I assume it is RG-6 cable inside. Lead from antenna to house is RG-6

I currently have a medium sized combi antenna in attic which picks up analog

6,8,and 12

When the wife gets home I will be crawling up on the roof to try it higher

1 - 6 of 6 Posts