AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading a Washington Post article http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2002Dec4.html and noticed it was missing a simple thing: a simple statement for newbies about how one would get OTA channels, i.e. get a tuner (if your TV doesn't have one), hook up an antenna, and start watching! OK, so its not that simple, but I wonder if people reading that article even realize this stuff is just being broadcast via UHF or VHF.

So I got to wondering, is there a newbie how-to that outlines the steps to start picking up OTA - check antennaweb, pick an antenna, etc? That could've been helpful when I first got started.

BB

·
Registered
182 Posts
Great questions! I hope someone posts some answers.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bdb

So I got to wondering, is there a newbie how-to that outlines the steps to start picking up OTA - check antennaweb, pick an antenna, etc? That could've been helpful when I first got started.

BB
The answer is simple:

1) Buy computer

2) Get acces to Web

3) read www.avsforum.com

Sorry it's so complicated. But DTV **IS** rocket science.

Doug McDonald

·
Registered
399 Posts
Let me add:

Check www.antennaweb.org it will tell you the DTV stations in your area and the direction to point your antenna. It will also suggest an antenna, but I would suggest (in general) to get a larger more directional antenna than the one it suggests.

Next, pick out and purchase an ATSC receiver. Read this forum for suggestions (like Samsung, Zeinth ...)

Mount and Aim antenna. Read the Local OTA section of this forum.

In general mount antenna as high as possible and use RG6 coax.

You will likely find other people that live in your area by visiting the Local OTA section of AVS to get more specific issues resolved for your location.

Attach coax and enjoy HDTV, so subscription required.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jdmcdonald
Sorry it's so complicated. But DTV **IS** rocket science.
Well, it is for some and it isn't for others. There are a few considerations that are often repeated here.

I wasn't asking for myself, actually. I've been watching OTA HD for a month now. The hard part for me was just getting my hands on a tuner!

BB

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have posted a bunch of articles on antennas, DTV STBs, indoor reception, outdoor reception, and preamps on my web site. You may find this useful and if others are getting started, have them check it out.

Everything in these articles is based on hands-on testing in the field with actual equipment. It's not "theory" but "practice".

Pete Putman KT2B

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Click his profile button.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.