AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 5Ks in use. I also have a SS that I haven't used since the 5Ks started working solidly. I have Dish with 2 recievers so the SS isn't doing much of anything anymore. I would like to record OTA for shows which I have double conflicts.

How would I use the internal tuner on my TV to pull in shows like this? Would be as simple as setting up an external antenna, putting the output of the TV to the input on the SS, the output of the SS to an open input on the TV and putting the IR blaster on the TV? How do I get my local lineup OTA into the SS?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Use an antenna (e.g. rabbit ears) on the RF input of the SS. Don't go through the TV. Then connect the SS outputs to the TV.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, and what do I use for the lineup settings? I don't recall seeing anything like OTA or antenna--but then, I've never needed to/thought about doing it.

TX,

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
There is an Antenna listing that pops up if you select Antenna as input source.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect! I guess I'm heading out to buy something I've not used for more than a decade. CRAZY!

Thanks!

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm...after doing some browsing, it seems that antennas have gotten quite a bit more sophisticated since I used them many years ago.

Given that I am not, at least in the short term, going to add an external antenna to either my dish OR my roof what should I be looking for?

There are amplified indoors antennas that seem to have a heck of a lot of bells and whistles ($60) to clean up signal and boost weak signals right down to cheapos ($15) that are basically just run of the mill rabbit ears.

Anybody recently buy an antenna that they really love or really hate? It might help to say, that I live in a pretty urban setting just north of Denver in a suburb called Westminster.

TIA.

Matthew in CO.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Matthew, you check out http://antennaweb.org ? It may give you the info you need. Or, look at what neighbors with antennas have (I realize some places antennas to compare with are hard to find!).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use an antenna from Radioshack, it was about $20, its roof mountable, but I mounted it up in my attic, so its unseen. Its directional and gets most of the local stations very well (you need to point it at the station's transmitter, find them by rotating the boom until the signal is clear). I will soon be adding another one and pointing it in the direction of the other transmitters (located outside the city) and combining the signals together using a "combiner", and possibly later a booster.... but basically I have very good reception with a $20 radioshack antenna (5ft long, 60 mile range).

Hope my babble helps

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would definately get an amplified antenna. I actually lived without cable from '97-'02 and used a magnavox rabbit ears antenna with up to 30db variable amplification ($30 at walmart in '97). I had better reception on some of my local channels than I do now with cable. I did hook it up to my Replay in the week or so I had it before I got cable. It worked well with the stronger channels, not so well on the weak ones as would be expect, but that's where the amp helps out. Actually, since you have Dish why don't you try one of those antennas that hook onto the dish (for local channels from before Dish could offer your locals). I believe those are amplified. Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I use the channel master stealth for my HDTV, it works pretty good, but as antennaweb.org states, I'm pretty close to all sources. The stealth is amp'd but it is unidirectional...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought an RCA ant1250 last night, and its pulling in the channels I need it to pretty well. I'm having some issues with some of the lower channel numbers, but they aren't where my conflicts are. As I get to know this antanna better, I'll let folks know what I think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.