Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm pretty new to these forums, but I have a question;

Is it possible for me receive OTA HDTV feeds from Seattle if I live in Vancouver? Is it possible to receive OTA signals from anywhere else?

Im debating whether I should take the plunge for a HDTV tuner card in my pc, so if i can not get a feed, I should just dump the idea altogether.

Can anyone answer that for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think it's about 150 miles from Seattle to Vancouver, which would probably be much too far to get a reliable signal. (I drove it last August and it was much farther than I had expected.)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Which Vancouver? :)

Reception of Seattle in Vancouver, WA, USA is not likely due to the hills south of Olympia. If you're talking about Vancouver, BC your chances are better.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think Vancouver BC is closer to Seattle than Vancouver WA, if I'm not mistaken. From what I can gather, the Portland area has plenty of HD programming, including Action Sports Cable Network -- lucky folks.

(BTW, I know ASCN is available via BUD, for all you big-dishers out there, it's not just feasible for everyone...)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL, yeah... I should been more clear,

I'm talking about Seattle to Vancouver B.C.

I mean, if anyone thinks it's possible to get at least all the major networks in...then I REALLY should plump down the dough for an HDTV card.

Comon, i need some reassurance ;)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stormwolf_16XL

[

Comon, i need some reassurance
150 miles is way too far for consistent OTA especially in non flat terrain. You need a tropo (ie curvature effect) to get signal. This is certainly not consistent or predictable.

You should be able to get all network HD when NIMIQ 2 (Expressvu) or F2 (StarChoice) are operational. As I mentioned in another thread, there is a rumor that Shaw Communications subsiduary Cancom is going to build a HD switching center somewhere is BC. The apparent goal is to offer 10 HD channels for $10/month via Shaw cable and satellite holdings

·
Registered
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stormwolf_16XL

[

Comon, i need some reassurance
150 miles is way too far for consistent OTA especially in non flat terrain. You need a tropo (ie curvature effect) to get signal. This is certainly not consistent or predicable.

You should be able to get all network HD when NIMIQ 2 (Expressvu) or F2 (StarChoice) are operational. As I mentioned in another thread, there is a rumor that Shaw Communications subsiduary Cancom is going to build a HD switching center somewhere is BC. The apparent goal is to offer 10 HD channels for $10/month via Shaw cable and satellite holdings

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.