AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been switching back and forth from my over the air signal to my FiOS service during the Olympics and the OTA is killing the FiOS quality!

Through my antenna there is greater contrast ratio, more color saturation, and a bit more sharpness (which could be attributed to the contrast).

Compare to the FiOS feed which is much flatter and less saturated.

Looks like the difference between a plasma (the OTA) and an old LCD panel.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts
You need to call for service. FiOS passes all HD to end users without additional compression, rate shaping, or reduction in resolution.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you think it has to do with an adjustment in the receiver? or is it the signal?

I'm not saying the FiOS HD is bad, I'm just saying the OTA looks better.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
They should be the same signal from both sources, how is the FIOS box hooked up vs the OTA tuner?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Most new TV's have separate color settings for each input. It could be the OTA input is adjusted in a way that gives it higher color saturation and contrast. Check both inputs to make sure they are adjusted the same.

·
Registered
501 Posts
One more thing, is your FIOS box set to output 720p or 1080i? I believe NBC stations use 1080i, so if your FIOS box is set to 720p it could be reducing the quality.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
My local CBS, NBC, and PBS OTA stations are broadcasting 1080i on their primary channels.

My local ABC, CW, FOX, iON, and MyNetwork OTA stations are broadcasting 720p on their primary channels.

My Independent OTA stations are broadcasting 480i on their primary channels.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would think the STB could switch according to format? Or am I just asking too much of it?

If setting one or the other is the answer I'll have a hard time deciding which format to leave it at.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ross /forum/post/18211295

Most new TV's have separate color settings for each input. It could be the OTA input is adjusted in a way that gives it higher color saturation and contrast. Check both inputs to make sure they are adjusted the same.

That's my vote, two different inputs each with different settings.

·
Registered
501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuned /forum/post/18213278

I would think the STB could switch according to format? Or am I just asking too much of it?

If setting one or the other is the answer I'll have a hard time deciding which format to leave it at.

On my FIOS boxes, I have to choose 720p or 1080i. It doesn't have a provision for letting it auto-switch based on the source resolution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts