AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My problem is that I live right at the base of the mountains in So. Cal. so I'm not sure if any antenna will work, and I'd like to have some idea of performance before I invest in a dish 6000 box (or other STB). I have the Dish 500 sat with a quad lnb going into the attic. From there it goes into some kind of box (I'm only assuming - I haven't climbed up there since it was installed) and out to each of the individual cable outlets.

Could I set up this antenna in the attic and plug it into some kind of j-box so that I will get the signal at the TVs?

If so, I would split the signal at the main tv with one leg going to the 501 and the other to the 6000.

Could I assume that if I tried the antenna before buying the 6000 box and it worked on the analog signals that it would work for the DTV?

Do DTV waves travel differently than analog so that the reception would be different in the same location (such as FM and AM radio signals).

Any help from this group would be greatly appreciated. I just got a brand new Mits 5907 and I want my HDTV!

Thanks,

------------------

George

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
<<Could I set up this antenna in the attic and plug it into some kind of j-box so that I will get the signal at the TVs?

If so, I would split the signal at the main tv with one leg going to the 501 and the other to the 6000.>>

Anytime you split the signal you will lose some gain and add noise. If you have a very good signal you can get away with it. It would be better to send the decoded signal to other TVs.

<<Could I assume that if I tried the antenna before buying the 6000 box and it worked on the analog signals that it would work for the DTV?>>

Yes, ghosting would indicate multipath problems, snow would indicate low gain.

<<Do DTV waves travel differently than analog so that the reception would be different in the same location (such as FM and AM radio signals).>>

No, but some OTA decoders are more sensitive to multipath problems. With digital you either get a picture or you don't, nothing in between except lots of drop-outs if the signal is very weak.

Look at this thread for antennas suggestions: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/013407.html

------------------

-Glenn

[This message has been edited by Glenn_L (edited 08-18-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.