AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a DTV subscriber and cancelled and went to VOOM & now cable. Hate my cable HD local reception and watch most on my VOOM receiver for my local HD. I have my old E86 Hughes receiver and wonder if it would be better than VOOMs because I cannot get a programing guide which might be possable with the E86. I am under the opinion that I don't have to reup with DTV to do this. Want some input which way you would go and why. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22,269 Posts
As long as you have to D* dish connected, you can still get programming guides using the E86 with no sub ( I think).

Just a question... why is a programming guide so important for only OTA locals?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's no big deal but it is nice to scan and see whats on. Basiclly I wonder which is the better unit. I still have my dish up for D* but I never had a OTA antenna until VOOM put one up and used it natch with VOOM but after almost 2 years with VOOM wondered if my 86 would get the HD locals also. I am so disapointed with Comcast that at some point might go back to D*. I could drop down to basic cable and use either the 86 or VOOM receiver for HD locals and possably get football package with D*. Just want to keep my options open and use whichever gets the best quality picture and sound. Cable quality just doesn't cut it in my area. Guess I'm looking for the best in all worlds and not paying out the nose for it. I have to satisfy the wife in programing also. Situation is 4 tv's and the 5th a Panny HD so cable is a cheaper option for the regular sets instead of satelittes rental box fee plus telephone lines running to each. I use a DVD upconvert unit for movies on my HD so I don't care about pay movies. My Patriots are not exclusuvely cable but local broadcasting and my Red Sox are mainly broadcast by cable station except when on Fox weekends. D* has never gotton permission in my area to broadcast local HD stations & thats why I left them. If someones personal preference if they had a choice of using a VOOM receiver or the Hughes E86 which one would they choose? And why? Thanks for answering Ratman

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've had the e86 and I've got 3 Voom receivers. The Voom recievers OTA tuner pull in distant stations much better. The e86 runs very hot.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Not to thread crap. I have LG, Samsung, Voom and USDigital. Samsung has trouble with one channel, Voom has trouble with another channel - can't figure out why, you really need to hook them up and see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.