Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have read here that you can use a DirectTV receiver for OTA without subscribing to DirectTV.

My question is, do you still get the channel guide that tells me what is on? Also, can I hook my cable directly into the box and have it act as a tuner for cable also.

FYI - I will be using a Panasonic 50" Plasma with no built in tuner abilities.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have a Toshiba DST300, and I can get the OTA channels without hooking up a DSS line to it.(I tried it before hooking up my DSS line. As far as the guide letting you know what programs are on with an OTA antenna hookup, It doesnt do it for me. If anyone knows how, please let me know.

Good Luck,

Fred

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The only way you'll get a program guide for OTA broadcasts is if the station in question actually broadcasts it! In the DFW area I think there is only one station that current sends out guide info. The rest show up on my DTC100 as "Regular Schedule". Perhaps this is just something that I can't see, but others can?....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Did I read that right?

You can use a DTC100 as just a stand alone OTA HD reciever?

In other words, If I were to find an open box DTC100 in the 200 to 300 range at a store, it could be used as a off the air reciever? I take it the DTC100 does not have a seperate 8vsb tuner like the Dish 6000 box does?

thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tczupka:
Hello,

I have read here that you can use a DirectTV receiver for OTA without subscribing to DirectTV.

My question is, do you still get the channel guide that tells me what is on? Also, can I hook my cable directly into the box and have it act as a tuner for cable also.

FYI - I will be using a Panasonic 50" Plasma with no built in tuner abilities.

Thanks,

Tim

You can use DCT100 as a tuner for your cable since it has two inputs in addition to DTV input and each allows you to select OTA antenna or CABLE as signal source.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Cab,

Yes, you can use the DTC100 strictly as an OTA HD receiver. It only has a VGA output. The Dish 6000 is the only HD STB that has a modular design.

Tim,

Yes the Panasonic will do the same thing. It is like the DTC100 both a DirecTV and OTA HD STB. It goes the DTC100 one better as it offers both VGA and Component outputs for HD so if you need the Component, you won't have to buy a transcoder for another $100+

Lee

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone.

I did stop into the local best buy last night. They had a open box dtc100 for 399.99. I decided to wait. I'm a dish customer and will be getting a 6000 box before the end of the year. If I find an open box dtc 100 or tosh, for around 200 to 300, I'll snag it. 399.99 just seemed too high for a short term solution. Although, I'd guess I could turn around and sell the box again for the 200 to 300 range, so it would only cost me the 100 to 200 for a short term solution, but I'll keep hunting. At least now, I have more places to look for a in-the-mean-time answer. I also looked at the Samsung box on the web. But for the price of the samsung box, I could buy the dish box. If I see that marked down anywhere, I'll grab it. The samsung box is an OTA only box.

thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.