AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the story with getting OTA in Long Island these days?

My brother is in Dix Hills... Can he get CBS from New York City? Is there anything else that can be picked up from Connecticut?

Can someone give me a rundown...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
In Selden, about 15-20 miles further east than Dix Hills, I can pick up CBS (56.1), FOX (44.1) from the ESB and WLIW/PBS (22.1) using an attic mounted CM 4228 with a CM 7777 Preamp. Never a reception problem. I then have a Radio Shack connected to the VHF only input on the preamp, pointed towards CT to get ABC (10.1) from New Haven. I also get TV55 (57.1) but I never watch that.

Good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm in Dix Hills and get the following OTA

10 (8-1) WTNHDT ABC

10 (8-2) WTNHDT2 ABC

10 (8-3) WTNHDT3 ABC

22 (21-1) WLIWDT PBS

22 (21-2) WLIWDT2 PBS

23 (23-1) WFTYDT TFA

39 (59-1) WCTXDT UPN

44 (5-1) WNYWDT FOX

44 (5-2) WNYWDT2 FOX

52 (49-1) WEDWDT PBS

52 (49-2) WEDWDT2 PBS

52 (49-3) WEDWDT3 PBS

52 (49-4) WEDWDT4 PBS

56 (2-1) WCBSDT CBS

57 (55-1) WLNYDT IND

Plus MSGHD and FSNYHD via Cablevision 8VSB, just have him scan the cable antenna in input. Don't know how long this will last though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ditto to all those channels also.

I live in Brentwood and occasionally I get 11-1, 12-1 WPIX either late at night or very early morning both from the city and also from Connecticut.

I also get 67-1, I think it is Telemundo?

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chrome
On the MSG do you have IO? or can you run the coax line in back of your reciever and scan for them?
From what I hear, Customers with Cablevision of Woodbury service can still get MSGHD and FSNYHD by connecting into an OTA box (8VSB). Cable has to be in the digital input.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All thanks for the report...

Sranger, how many spots are all those coming from? Seems like 2, is that right?

Seldenpat, I'm loving watching my brother try to convince the wife this is a good idea.

He does have a tall mast for the DirecTV dish on the roof, however, so it's possible the 4228 could just be put up there one day. And I imagine with the other channels slated for the ESB, that'd be a good way to pick up New York and potentially render New Haven unncessary down the road.

???

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
All thanks for the report...

Sranger, how many spots are all those coming from? Seems like 2, is that right?

Seldenpat, I'm loving watching my brother try to convince the wife this is a good idea.

He does have a tall mast for the DirecTV dish on the roof, however, so it's possible the 4228 could just be put up there one day. And I imagine with the other channels slated for the ESB, that'd be a good way to pick up New York and potentially render New Haven unncessary down the road.

???

Mark
2 spots, ESB and New Haven. I can't get WCTX.

Does he have an Attic? The 4228 works great up there for me (with the CM 7777 Preamp). Word is that WNBCDT - 28 and WABCDT - 45 will be up and running before the end of the year, but if he wants MNF in HD, New Haven with a VHF is the only way to go.

As an FYI, Cablevision IO HD has begun to add local Digital feeds. Right now, CBS (NY Ch. 2), FOX (NY Ch. 5) and PBS (NY Ch. 13) are available as channels 702, 705, and 713. May be a way around the lack of WAF!

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can still plug the coax cable into the the digital antenna in slot and scan. My set has has two digital antenna slots, one for the antenna on the roof and one for the cable. The antenna (RS VU190) is mounted on my roof and I have an antenna rotor to swing it from Riverhead, New Haven, Bridgeport and NYC. I also use a RS preamp.

Enjoy

Steve

·
Registered
798 Posts
I am over on the south shore, any recomendation on antennas?

The wife refuse to let me put a mast on the house so does anyone know of a good low profie antenna?? Terk 55??

Suggestions?? Opinions?? Comments??

Thanks

·
Registered
420 Posts
Whatever you do, dont get the terk55, that is the worst antenna you can get, try a channel master, 4221, or 4228

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CMR
I am over on the south shore, any recomendation on antennas?
Please be more specific. South shore could be any where between Brooklyn and Montauk and the recommendations vary accordingly.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Amity Harbor

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
terk55 gets many bad reviews but it works fine for me

i had it in the attic and did not point it carefully - still worked

put it up on the roof = always has a signal without 'searching'

i live near you in seaford and get li & nyc no problem

never tried connecticut

>

>I am over on the south shore, any recomendation on antennas?

>

>The wife refuse to let me put a mast on the house so does anyone know >of a good low profie antenna?? Terk 55??

>

>Suggestions?? Opinions?? Comments??

>

>Thanks

>

>

>__________________

>[email protected]

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm in Patchogue. Only the better equipment works from here. Winegard 9095 with AP4800 pre-amp & rotor for the UHF HD channel's. VHF Yagi with CM pre-amp for ABC New Haven.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the input.

I am going to go with the Channel Master 4228 up in the attic.

I have to wait on my Panasonic 50" Plasma to come in (hopefully this week):D before I can post the results.

Mark

·
Registered
195 Posts
DVW, what type of signal strenght are you getting out of New Haven? I've tried 3 different antennas (put up a RS VU190 today) and the best signal strenght I ever get is 79. I'm in Freeport.

·
Registered
322 Posts
kcn823,

my new haven abc signal strength falls between 75 & 90 depending on time of day and weather, etc. I will get a few freeze ups during a Monday night football game but nothing real bothersome. I am using a RCA DTC-100. I did have a Zenith that worked better.

I never use radio shack products. I use a centronics VHF-high yagi with a CH7777 pre-amp.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.